Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't install new hard drive/USB only pc

• Please log in to reply

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello everyone i'm new here, and in a bad way. i have a gateway pc that is 900 mhz, but the hard drive is crashed. i would like to put a new one in but the pc only has USB ports. and of course when you boot it has no keyboard or mouse support. is there any way to add a hard drive, or could i find another computer case to put my mother board in ?:whistling:
Thanks

Advertisements

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i just relised that case change will not work no ps/2 support on mother board,

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
?.... your hard drive crashed and you want to put another hard drive in to replace the old one right?
that has nothing to do with usb... hard drives that go INSIDE the computer are either IDE (technically EIDE but that's another lesson) or SATA or if you're really fancy SCSI.... i have yet to see a motherboard that doesn't have a PS/2 port on it...(not saying they don't exist...just saying i've never seen it)

so here comes the question

what are you wanting to do? why are you wanting to do it? and what have you already tried? what do you mean your hard drive crashed?

and of course when you boot it has no keyboard or mouse support

what do you mean there?
are you wanting to REPLACE the hard drive or add a new one as a slave?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Do you have any IDE channels left on the motherboard.

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i was given the pc was told the hard drive was no good, i have tried to boot the pc. i get warning that the keyboard and mouse are not attached. the pc only has 4 usb ports no ps/2 ports and i see no place on the mother board for them, it is a mircostar ms-8312
i even put a formated hard drive in when i boot to install win xp i get press any key to boot from cd OK can't press any key have no keyboard working. can't get in to bios to enable USB support with out a keyboard. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you sure that's the model number of the mother board? MSI claims that it doesnt exist (most of their boards are 3 numbers and a letter or two)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
according to the microstar website there are no boards with that model number whatsoever

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
rechecked the model it is a Mirco-Star Ms 6312 ver. 1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.ascendtec...s/251108102.jpg <---is that what y our board looks like?

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
this is what i found on the motherboard.
Intel® 82810E chipset
UATA 33/66 support
133MHz FSB, Up to PIII 1000MHz
Two memory slots, supporting a combined maximum of 512 megabytes (MB) of 4-clock synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM)
Two PCI slots supporting 3.3-volt (V) to 5-V
PCI version 2.2 bus interface
100-megahertz (MHz) front bus speed (speed of motherboard)
100-MHz host bus speed (speed the I/O controller communicates with the processor)
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) support (Power Management support)
8MB Integrated AGP Video
64Bit Sound Audio
56K V.90 Modem
370-pin zero-insertion-force (ZIF) processor socket

These boards are MSI / Jabil made boards for Gateway, so you will see a Gateway logo come up when booted. This board is intended to be used in Gateway Essential Pc's Flex ATX & Flex ATX Pro. Please note, while these boards have 3 USB ports built on, only two ports are enabled and are functional, the third port was disabled (reasons unknown). Since the motherboard has only USB PORTS, keyboard, mouse, printer or any other peripherals must be USB.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in light of that..you shouldn't have to enable usb to get the usb keyboard to work....

leave it to gateway to do something as stupid as not putting a single ps/2 port on a motherboard...what if your usb dies? retarted....simply retarted....

it's possible that the usb ports are baked...

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes that is it,
can the prosseor be used on another board?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as long as the proc is supported by the board (i.e. same socket type and what not) check the board to make sure that the proc is supported before changing it over

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could salavage everything except the mobo and and hard drive.

pcnerdwanbe

pcnerdwanbe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
RETARTED is right. they don't want you to fix them just buy a new one.