Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive hides my files

• Please log in to reply

gingerbear

gingerbear

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Spire brand 80GB External Hard Drive. It worked fine at first when I backed up all my files. A couple weeks later when I tried to access files on the external drive, all the folders after a certain point dissapeared. I tried restarting the computer and all the folders dissapeared. I tried several things and most of the files either wouldn't show up or wouldn't operate right.

I took it to the repair shop, where they said they found a virus. They removed it and recovered the data. Once I got the drive back and tried to access the data on my laptop the same problems were occurring. I took it back to the repair shop and told them. They tried it on their computer and it worked fine. Only about half the files work properly and about 1/3 don't show up. It's not consistent however, which files dissappear and which one's work. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, depending on when I restart the computer or turn the drive on and off. Some files I'm able to copy to my laptop, but other's I cannot.

When I connect the drive to the laptop with the USB cord I get the following messages:

(my Windows XP is in Dutch, so I've translated the message to English)
windows - postponed do not write versions has failed is possible all data for resistant e: to store. The lost data has gone. This error can be caused by a problem in the computer hardware or network connection. Try to store the file somewhere else.

This apparatus works with a lower speed: USB - apparatus for mass rise. For the complete speed you must use a fast USB - connect hostcontroller on this computer.

What should I try???????????

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the second message (WEIRD translation indeed) suggests that either you laptop doesn't support usb 2.0 or that it's not turned on in the BIOS....try booting to the bios setup (usually del or f2) and see if you can find a setting to enable usb2.0 or fast usb support or something like that...

the first error is quite possibley entirely too far away from english for me to really get a grasp on..but i have an idea

open up my computer > right click on the external drive > do properties > hardware tab > highlight the drive > click properties > policies tab > then uncheck the "enable write caching on the disk" box > then ok and apply and ok untill you're out of those menus...restart the computer and see if anything is better

gingerbear

gingerbear

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi dsenette,

I tried your suggestion, but there doesn't seem to be any affect. Also, when I try to copy a Word document from the external hard drive to the laptop I get the following message:

This file cannot be copied. No data can be read from the source file or on the source disk.