Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes playing video (even after reinstalling!)

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Since HP and other notebook providers (not makers--very few companies make notebooks, but rather buy them and rebadge them) are NOTORIOUS slow in driver updates, try an alternative video driver.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

And update the audio driver

You might want to consider removing the drivers first by going into add/remove control panel and removing any ati video drivers, then dropping into safe mode and running driver cleaner pro

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Advertisements

jmrother

jmrother

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would really appreciate your help in doing that. Right now my roommate with his Dell Inspiron that he got for less than 1000 is laughing at me with all the issues I've been having. I just can't have that :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what help do you need?

Download the above drivers and program

Reboot into safe mode. remove drivers in add/remove control panel, then run driver cleaner pro, select all ati drivers, hit clean.

Reboot into normal mode

Cancel any new hardware found wizards. Use the omega drivers built in install routine and you should be up and running

jmrother

jmrother

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow! It worked!! As far as I can tell everything's working great! I tried opening files in VLC and WMP and moving them around the screen as well as expanding and minimizing them and opening and closing other programs (all things that froze them before). I just installed those drivers and it worked great! Thanks!!

Sorry for not getting back to all of you sooner, I was away for the weekend. Thanks again for all the help.