Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network problem

• Please log in to reply

ROO123

ROO123

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi, ive just started a course in computing and so im still learning a lot about them. so i decided to create a home network with a wired computer connected to a router and the broadband connected to the router aswell. then i added a wireless computer to be able to get internet access on both computers, which worked out great.

Then i found out about shared folders and decided i would like to do that but unfortunitaly i couldnt get it to work. so i rang belkin (the makers of the router) and they told me it was nothing to do with the router and all i needed to do was get the wired computer to talk to the wireless computer using the PING command.

the problem is that the wireless computer can ping the wired computer but not its self - and the wired computer can ping itself but not the wireless computer - so say belkin. i tried turning off the windows built in firewall and disabling auto protect on the anti virus for both computers but i still cannot get the wired computer to ping the wireless computer.

what do i need to do to get both computers to talk to each other so that i can share files between them?

thanks for all your help im will provind you with more information if you need it

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
if you can't ping, check any firewall blocking it. or post the result of ipconfig /all here. this step by step troubleshooting may help, http://www.howtonetw...ccessibale0.htm

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the troubleshooting didnt really help which computer should i get the ipconfig/all results off?

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok ive now got the two computers to ping each other and i can access the view workgroups option in my network places but on the wired computer i can only see the wired computer and on the wireless computer i cannot see any computer.

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
SORRY that should say when i go into the show workgroups on the wired and wireless computer all i can see is the computer im on only

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
if any one has the same problem as me make sure you go into network connections then go into the propertines of the LAN connection then go into the properties of the Internet Protocol TCP/IP. then click the advanced button in the general tab and the go to the WINS tab and select the ENABLE NETBIOS over TCP/IP radio button.

also make sure the NWLINK protocol is installed in that same LAN connection on all computers by clicking the install button in the LAN connection properties go to protocol and click add the select the NWLINK protocol and click ok.

this worked out for me anyway and the other inprotant this i learnt is that as long is its setup right the windows firewall can be turned on and so can your anti virus with auto protect but you must disable any Internet security programs like Norton Internet Security. I Hope this will help someone having the same problems setting up a network as me.