Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

illegal web hosting

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
My father currently owns 2 resturants with 2 other partners. A while back a guy came in there and told one of the other owners that he was goign to make them a website. Not thinking of any the other owner said ok. Well recently i started a web design business. They wanted me to make a web site for them. The i have the .net domain for the website but the previous guy bought the .com domain and has a website. Well the guy that purchased the .com has invalid information on the site and has the wrong prices and even has an email address posted on there that we are unable to check.

We have asked the guy many times to take the information off of the site because we feel as if the wrong menus and prices are causing a decrease in sales.

My question is what can we do about this situation? We know the guys name and address and even his own personal website. I would greatly appreciate all input.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could contact the company that hosts the website and the company from whom he bought the domain name and attempt to get it shut down...be warned...this wont be an easy process nor will it be fast...and in all likelyhood you won't get any success...especially if the guy is paying out of his own pocket for the domain and webhosting (he's got the right to post erroneous information you know)...NOW...if YOU (or the owners of the resteraunt) are indeed paying this dude (or the webhosting company directly) a monthly (or yearly) fee for the domain registration and hosting....then stop paying it...they will shut it down promptly..

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Does he have the right to post whatever he wants even if we feel as if it is decreasing our sales?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well....that's debatable...and really dependant on how good of a lawyer you have...how much of a dink this guy is...and the webhosting company

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well lets just say we have as good a lawyer as money can buy. Also he has his hosting through godaddy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'd get in touch with godaddy...and have your lawyer give the dink a call as well...like i said...this won't be fun or easy..

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok well if you need the addresses or the guys name, I can send them to you in an email.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hehe i can't do anything about it....not a lawyer...

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I didn't know if you needed it because you said that you were going to contact godaddy. Thanks for your help also.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
NOO..hehe sorry i mean't "if i were you i would..."

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
wow... really uncomfortable situation. i wish you luck though.

brendandonhue

brendandonhue

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Is this guy using your dad's copyrights or trademarks on the website?

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well good news everyone. I sent the guy an email and now the sites are down. I told him that if he didnt take it down that we would take legal action and they are down. Now we just have to find a way to purchase them from him.

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
If the website is screwing up the resturant's rep, and you have asked him to take the info off, i think you could sue for libel. :whistling: