Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Problem

• Please log in to reply

John Noe

John Noe

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Registry editor error (hopping there is no damage to the hard drive) Cannot import C:\Windows\System\radE5C0B.tmp error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error....

any ideas of what this is.....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi John Noe...

I can find absolutely no information on that file, which makes me more than a little suspicious.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look in the "Command" column for C:\Windows\System\radE5C0B.tmp. If you find it, uncheck the check box to the left of it and click "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will receive a "Selective Startup" dialog window. This is normal. There should be a check box to "Not show this dialog again" (or similar)...tick the box and click "Ok".

Do you still get the error? If the file is not in the list, let me know.

wannabe1

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok here we go um under start up i found the file the file name is OPQFile with the command of C:\windows\regedit.exe/sC:\windows\system\radE5C0B....

Then upon reboot the message was gone but is this a system specific file that may cause future problems if it does not load.... or sould i be ok.... just let me know

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That file shouldn't even be in there as near as I can tell... :whistling:

It may be a string in the registry for something that has been removed by a virus or malware scan.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok". Does the Registry Editor open?

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
yeah why

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's just odd to see "regedit" in the location command string. I think you'll be be fine, but if you'd like, we can see if we can find and remove it from the registry.

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
yea that would be nice cause this computer has some serious problems and i need to ensure everything i can i am still awaiting a hijack this log look from the other part of the forum so yea if you dont mind

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok well um i found it its under the HKEY_USERS, Default, Software, microsoft, windows, currentversion

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...you got it. Right click on it and choose "Delete". Accept the change. Close the Registry Editor and reboot.

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
ok thanks dunno if it helped but atleast no error message lol oh can you possibly send someone my way on the hijack this log i am trying to get this comp fixed for my girl she doesnt have one and this one was given to her so it was in rough shape and i am trying to get it decent if you cant thanks any way no more annyoing message

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
They'll get to you soon, I'm sure.

I had a look at the log...you'll definitely want to let them help you. There's some very suspicious stuff in there. :whistling: Just be patient. It'll be worth the wait! You'll be her hero!! :blink:

Be sure to tell the Malware Expert who helps you that we removed that reg key...but don't reply to the topic until after an expert does.

wannabe1

John Noe

John Noe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i wont thanks for your help if i ever need anything i will look for you :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome... :whistling:

wannabe1