Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmmm,
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Go here, get the
Windows (Offline Installation)

Now, close everything
Open MY COMPUTER and navigate to
C:\Documents and Settings\{your profile}\Application Data
Rename
SUN to BACKSUN

Navigate to
C:\Program Files

Rename JAVA to BAKJAVA

Reboot

Run the download from above

Reboot

Advertisements

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
OK - done that.

Rename Java to BAKJAVA brought up a little warning 'May make some progs not work'

Got to :- 'Run the download' - a message 'You already have (Java) - please uninstall..... etc' - so I ran Add/Remove Progs.

Installation then went apparently all OK

Went to 'Verify Installation' - a message 'have detected you have installed (etc) - seems you may not have collod & reopened Browser', so i closed & reopened Firefox (and IE for good measure).

Re-ran 'Verify' - still only get the white rectangle, red X.

Message at bottom right of screen now says 'Applet tesvm notinited'

I clicked on the 'Need Help' thingie - it says to open Java Control Panel, click the 'Proxies' tab. Hmmmmm?!! there IS no proxies tab on my Java Control Panel!! However, there is a 'Network Settings', which goes on to show a button for 'Use Browser Settings', which is ticked.

The subsequent paragraph talks about proxy settings. I have asked my ISP about this, they tell me there are no proxies.

Dunno if we have made progress, or not?

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Sorry to be a pain, but I am running into more things for which Java is a pre-requisite - and I still can't get the [bleep] thing to play ball for me!!

:whistling: - PLEASE!!!!

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I seem to have hit a road-block. I have been trying, with help, to get Java operational on my computer - now I seem to have been cut out!! - I got a message 'You are not entitled to reply to that topic!' :whistling:

Please, can anyone help me sort out why Java is being so difficult? I have gone through lots of procedures, Uninstall, Re-install, delete this file, rename that, and Lord knows what else (the record should show.)

:blink: :help: :) :woot:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go to control panel, create a new user account. Log off, log into new user

Visit a page you are having issues with...does the problem repeat

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
First - I am glad to have re-established contact! Was beginning to fear I was stranded without a guide, & still no resolution!.

Right - set up new user, & tried Java on it. I went to the Java download centre, & used the 'Verify Java' button.

Results - still not working, but different!!

Tests 1 & 2, on the new user, show a white square with red X top left (normal user, not even room for the squares)

Test 3, new user, show the two verticals of the white square, no horizontal, no red X, tho after changing to another page, & coming back the verticals had vanished, also. (normal user, complete square, & red X).

So, changing user still does not result in getting Java working, but does present slightly different symptoms.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

what does CLASS PATH say?

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
CLASSPATH says :- C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

----------------------------------------------

In that dialog box, under User Variables for Dave, there are two items -

TEMP C:\Documents&Settings\Dave\Local... (Can't get to read the rest)
TMP C:\documents&Settings\Dave\Local...

Attempting to Edit either of these (to see what is beyond the '...') - gives a value of
%USERPROFILE%\LocalSettings\Temp

(I was careful to back out with 'Cancel' - so as not to alter anything!)

Edited by sweetdave, 26 May 2006 - 04:54 AM.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi! :whistling:

In a couple of days, i shall be going away, and will prob be offline for about 10 days.

I'll get back in tuch, on my return - I do hope that we shall be able to get to the root of this Java problem - it seems very resistant!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dang it, another stray thread.

Sorry, I do not normally patrol this forum.

Well, what a pain this problem has become. Would you please download hijackthis from my signature, and then save a log and ATTACH IT to your next post

Advertisements

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok - i had hijackthis stored as a ZIP file, so ran it from there (I couldn't see where you meant me to get it from, but i guess this will be just the same - hope so, anyway!)

Log attached (there should be an emoticon for 'Fingers Crossed!)

I will check mail again tomorrow, but then will be away for about 10 days.

Attached Files

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
OK - just got back from being away, myself - and I see you may be off the air for a few more days, too.

Look forward to hearing from you again, when you return - and hope we can crack this *&=@#% Java thing!!

P.S. - Hope you had as good a break as I did!

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Hi, I have been looking carefully through your problem and comparing the setup to my own. I have noticed that my Classpath is different to what the admins have said, and my Java works perfectly in IE, Opera, and firefox. These are my entries

Variable Name: CLASSPATH
Variable Value: 'C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QTJava.zip' and

I also have another entry which is:

Variable Name: QTJAVA
Variable Value: 'C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\QTJava.zip'

somebody mentioned this value 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\lib\ext\QTJava.zip' on my PC this file does not exist.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by CJIS, 15 June 2006 - 01:47 AM.

sweetdave

sweetdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi - :whistling:

Thanks for your input - glad of any help I can get.

First thing I did was to check the value you have for CLASSPATH, by 'Explore'ing it.

1) - I do not have a 'Program Files' folder in C:\. Mine is 'program files'. Would this make a difference, or is it not case-sensitive? I am loathe to alter this in case I do something I cannot undo.

2) My 'QuickTime' folder within 'program files' does not have a QTSystem folder, so I guess your value for CLASSPATH would not do anything for me. Is that a fair guess?

3) I entered your QTJAVA name, & its value. Java still does not play for me!

4) I checked the 'value that does not exist on your PC'. Ignoring the 'Progam Files'/'program files' thing, i get as far as lib/ext, but the QTJava.zip does not exist on my PC, either.

I am your archetypal non-techie, so I go very carefully, & don't make too many assumptions!! I am scared stiff of screwing up the system, and being unable to get it back. So I very much appreciate help from those whose expertise exceeds mine.

Edited by sweetdave, 15 June 2006 - 05:18 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
1. Case sensitivity doesn't matter or make a difference.

2. I guess this would not help then.

3. Still a problem

4. OK well what is in there.