Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new PC won't read my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My new computer I just built won't read my stupid hard drive. I try to install XP and when I get to the part where I have to format my hard drive, it says that it can't read one. I think I installed it right (small SATA cable from hard drive to mobo; power cable from power supply to link cable to hard drive) I need some help so I can get it working. It is a Magnetic Data Tech 200 GB SATA hard drive.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to press F6 when prompted with the SATA driver on it.

If you don't have one, find any old floppy and you should be able to boot off the motherboard CD (like you've done with the XP CD) and there's usually an option to make one.

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I really can't figure this out.
What files do I need off of the motherboard disc? Do I really need a floppy disk? Can't I just boot off of the mobo disc?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need the floppy disk, consult the mobo manual for the details or the manufacturers website they will tell you exactly what files you need and offer them for download.

Ive never been able to get it work from a CD, unless you want to make a new windows disk with the drivers allready in it, but its much easier to just get the floppy.

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
anyone know the names of the files I would need on the disc?
because I can't figure it out through my manufacturer

Edited by wemibelec90, 11 April 2006 - 08:44 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What motherboard is it.

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
PC Chips M861G

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.pcchips.c...tailName=Driver

Bottom of the page that should be the one, stick it on a floppy and try it. The manual also mentions readme files on the CD that you should read for more info i would read the files associated to that driver on the disk if they have them.

Edited by warriorscot, 12 April 2006 - 06:57 AM.

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Have the right files but the floppy drive won't pick them up (know they are right because I called tech support). Please help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does the floppy drive work, how exactly do they not work are they not being picked up in windows install or not working in windows.

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I am trying to access the files when it asks for them but it just acts like there is no disk in the floppy drive. I know the floppy drive works because it is from my mom's computer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Is the disk formatted properly, make sure the floppy is detected in bios before you start up the install, and you have it connected to the floppy drive port.

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I finally got it to work. Thanks everyone!