Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Something different (help a tech art student out)

• Please log in to reply

bluenote69

bluenote69

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone and anyone,

I Don't know all the right lingo so please forgive me if I mix up or neglect to use the right terms. Basically I'm hoping to build a picture slideshow art piece with multiple lcd monitors. I know home lcd's are getting cheaper but I can still find replacement laptop lcd's for EVEN cheaper then the home standup ones. Considering I would like to remove the casings for my project anyway I was hoping to use some referb. or used laptop lcd's because of the savings in cost.

My main problem with this is that laptop lcd's have all their hardware to link the monitor to power and imagery inside the laptop. Does anyone think that I could rig up a traditional power source and serial connector somehow to a replacement laptop screen?

If someone knows of a company that puts out kits for this sort of conversion, or if someone has information on a similar project that would be great.

Thanks for reading,

Bluenote.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
eehhh....you'd have to get some FUNKY documentation on pin outs on the cables and what not...that i don't think you're gonna be able to find...those monitors are designed for a specific purpose to interact with specific hardware...i'm gonna DOUBT that it's possible....are you wanting the same image on all monitors? different images on all monitors? a mosaic style image? (parts of the image on each monitor that make up a whole?) i've got a system here at work that's got a bunch of multiplexed 42 inch plasma tvs (4 on each bank) that connect to a controller that allows for all of those configurations...but it (they...we've got 3 banks with 8 monitors on each in clusters of 4 per side) wasn't cheap at all...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been trying to do this for years. Its cheaper to just buy some desktop LCD monitors. Heres a website on this.

http://store.earthlc...category.190/.f

SRX660