Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows xp is my operating system. I am receiving the message:
STOP: c000221 (bad image checksum)
The wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi zew! Welcome to G2G!

Are you able to boot your computer into Safe Mode? (To enter Safe Mode, start tapping the F8 key about once a second as soon as you turn on your computer. Continue to tap F8 until the screen appears allowing you to boot into Safe Mode.). Once you are into Safe Mode (logging in with your normal account and NOT the Administrator account), click on START and then click on RUN. In the new window that appears, type the following: sfc /scannow (noting the space between sfc and /scannow). This will run the Windows System File Checker, and it will replace any operating system files that are missing and/or corrupt. (You may be asked to insert your Windows XP CD during this process.) Once the blue bar goes away, reboot your computer and boot into Windows normally.

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.