Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How many users have encountered problems upgrading to SP2 from SP1?

• Please log in to reply

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hi everyone,

I have decided to finally bite the bullet and upgrade to SP2. I have followed the tips on the MS site to help ensure a smooth upgrade and I plan to install via the large all-in-one SP2 download that some have said is less glitchy. But, what number of people encounter serious errors or problems upon upgrade? Also, any necessary tweaks with SP2 besides increasing TCP/IP connection limit?

Thanks for any help/tips/advice.

Cheers,
Tom

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi gust0208!

I have had no problems upgrading from any version of Windows XP, be it from an installation of windows XP with no service packs installed on it to ones that have SP1 or SP1a installed. It is still always a good idea to back up important data (documents, pictures, etc...) before doing the upgrade just in case something does go wrong. At least that way you aren't 'sunk' if something does go wrong.

As for the improvements with SP2, what I can tell you is that it improves the security of Windows XP to withstand malicious virus attacks aimed at windows-based products. Major improvements were made to the security of both Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, which are Windows versions of an Internet browser and email client, respectively. For detailed information regarding the improvements with SP2, please check out THIS site.

Fenor

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
There are MANY security enhancements. There were a few issues when SP2 was first released, but they've been mostly resolved. It would be a good idea to make sure your system is free of viruses and malware before updating.

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

There are MANY security enhancements. There were a few issues when SP2 was first released, but they've been mostly resolved. It would be a good idea to make sure your system is free of viruses and malware before updating.

Good to hear about SP2, I will be installing it this weekend. Just did a full virus scan and ad/malware scan with my usual Spybot and Adaware with nothing found. I am also excited for SP2's more advanced handling of wireless networking. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
Tom

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Good to hear about SP2, I will be installing it this weekend. Just did a full virus scan and ad/malware scan with my usual Spybot and Adaware with nothing found. I am also excited for SP2's more advanced handling of wireless networking. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,
Tom

SP2 came out ages ago.

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

SP2 came out ages ago.

True and I can't argue with your statement, but doesn't really address the main question. I was initially put off by the problems users were reporting and limitations on TCP connections. But as stated above, these have been addressed and is necessary for maintaining computer security.

gust0208

gust0208

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the tips and the upgrade appears to have gone without a hitch. No errors or non-functioning programs so far.

Cheers,
Tom

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
You are one lucky guy. Now you just need to adapt what's written below you Avatar