Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Aquiring network address

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Aquiring network address on ethernet

Recently i was trying to route 2 PC's together for a friend, i spent ages trying to get the second pc onto the internet, so i thought i would share what i found as i searched the net and didnt find this solution
I wont bore you with all the details just the symptons and the solution

1. all internet connections appear to be working fine but no internet possible
Moved my ethernet card to the pc , internet is fine, install a new ethernet card and it wont work , install new ethernet card into my "working " pc, no connection
2.device manager for the modem say's it is working
3. the internet is not accesible anyhow
4. the connection details that it is a limited or not connected if you click on repair it states it couldnt renew the ip
5. i tried winsock fix and many days trying all the great advice from the tech's here

finally i telephone tech support at ntl

Apparantly the modem "recognises" your ethernet card and gives it a unique address, if you just unplug and connect to a new card it wont talk to it.

Turn off the modem and pc with new ethernet card

Wait a minute then turn on the modem, wait till it is fully functional then reboot your new ethernet pc
Voila it all kicks in straight away the modem is refreshed and your off and running

I looked in many places for this and couldnt believe how stupid i was, but figure a few others may fall into the same trap , lol looking to deep.
I dont know how many modems in the world react like this but i tried google the works and didnt get this advice from anywhere, so i hope my experience helps somebody and saves a lot of searching and posting, if it saves the tech's heads for 2 mins even better , lol

Hope it helps

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
we call that a "hard reset" of the broadband modem...or sometimes can be refered to as "bouncing" the modem...and should always be the first step when having internet connectivity issues with broadband....