Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Build not working...

• Please log in to reply

millertime214

millertime214

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I just got my new mobo because the last one did not work (see a previous topic I posted here). I just finished installing everything & booted up for the first time. The system does not go to BIOS. I have no idea why. A couple other issues as well: I hear a somewhat loud clicking sound, almost like a fan is hitting something as it spins, but I have not found this anywhere; also, my mouse & keyboard do not light up (I have an optical mouse). The mouse & keyboard thing happened last time, but I still don't know what I can do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. There are a multitude of possible causes. I suggest using the new build troubleshooting guide at the top of this forum for starts. See http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html
Work through that, then post back with results. Include your system specs as well. This will better enable folks who want to try to help.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you! That made me realize that I was shorting my case by having too many mobo brackets on the plate. It's working fine now & I've already got XP installed. Thanks again!

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
can you explain a little more i dont get what your saying

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well, you know how you have to put little screw-like things on your mobo panel before you put your mobo inside. I put too many of those on there (more than were necessary to properly screw in my mobo). I finally realized this after reading the tutorial & removed the extra ones. Now the computer runs fine. And again, thanks everyone for your help.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
aren't they just screws thought, cause mine has too many to but it works better than ever, (it wouldn't if I didn't overclock the cpu, by the way don't try this at home)

Edited by SOORENA, 13 April 2006 - 08:13 PM.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
They might just be screws, but they are still metal. They were apparently causing a short in my case, but maybe that's just my case. Either way it works fine now.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
How many screws are you supposed to use then mate.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As many as there are retention holes on your motherboard they give you alot of them because some motherboards use more or less than others do.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
is 5 alright my mobo has like 9 holes

Advertisements

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
It is if your computer works. I'm using 7 right now becuase I couldn't get any more to fit in. I suppose it would be best to use all 9, but mine works fine & I'm gonna leave well enough alone.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well ideally you want to use the all as otherwise it will exert a less even force on the board if you change something around, but as long as you have 4 or 5 your fine as long as you arent to rough with it.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
OK so ill put all 9 then good to know good to know great info here for new builders.

guttermouth punk

guttermouth punk

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
"those little screws" are so much more then just screw holes.

They ground your motherboard so it doesn't short out.
[removed]

Edited by admin, 15 April 2006 - 10:48 PM.

millertime214

millertime214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I believe we established that WAAAAAAAY up top. But thanks for reading the whole thread, lol.