Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is stuck in setup!

• Please log in to reply

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was using Win XP Pro SP1a with no problems. I downloaded and installed all updates from the Microsoft site with no problems. I did a disk cleanup, system file check, scan & immunize with several different antispyware applications, scan with antivirus, and defrag. My system ran wonderfully. I received SP2 on CD from Microsoft and installed. BIG problems.

My desktop (with icons) appears, but none of my programs (such as defrag, internet connection, etc.) will run. I tried to uninstall SP2, but received a message saying "no". I tried to re-install Win XP Pro SP1a in a clean boot, and now my computer is stuck in setup. A message appears saying, "Fatal error: Setup failed to install product catalogs." (Other messages say, signature for win XP upgrade is invalid, cannot find text for message #0xfffffdda in message file for syssetup.dll, and that the CPU setting is incorrect.) I set the BIOS (including the CPU setting) to DEFAULT, with no improvement.

I tried to restart in Safe Mode without success (but it did tell me that I am running SP1). Right now, my computer hangs in setup, restarts, hangs in setup, restarts, with all the messages, above. The rescue disks didn't work--does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Mike Fisher! Welcome to G2G!

When you did the re-install Win XP Pro SP1a in a clean boot, did you do a complete FORMAT of the hard drive and then installed Windows XP or did you do a REPAIR installation?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 11 April 2006 - 06:28 PM.

Mike Fisher

Mike Fisher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Set my boot order to CDROM as the first and let it boot from the original Win XP SP1a CD. Tried a system repair; a message appears saying, "Fatal error: Setup failed to install product catalogs." I re-installed Win XP Pro SP1a in a complete format of the hard drive, and now my computer works (barely).

And I thought all the bugs with SP2 had been taken care of. If this is true, I need a list. Most of my programs have not been re-installed; I un-installed them so that I could install SP2 in a clean environment.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Mike Fisher...

and now my computer works (barely).

When you say this, what exactly do you mean? Is it slow? Does the system hang? Are you getting a lot of errors? The more information we have on your problem, the easier it will be to help you.

wannabe1