Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

My computer refuses to erase itself

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I want to format everything off of my har drive except the operation system. I tried going to my C; drive and selecting format but it says that somthing is using it. I dont have any windows open but the format menu and no sharing programs on. What should I do....

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It isn't really possible to "format" your drive and only leave the operating system behind. If you want make a fresh start, your best bet is to format your drive completely and then reinstall the operating system form scratch.

If you don't want to do this, you could try cleaning your system by going to the add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstalling everything(except for everything with "update for windows", "hotfix for windows", or "windows service pack 2" in its name). Once you have done that, you could then download a program such as Tuneup Utilities 2006(which still needs to be installed) and run its range of Maintenance programs to help clean up your system. This will however most likely leave some files behind as many programs do not actually uninstall everything when removed from your system. You could then run a defrag to tidy everything up.

My advice would be to do a complete fresh install of your operating system via booting up from its disk. Usually you have the option of doing a clean instal and formatting the partition it is being intsalled onto.

Hope this is of assistance.