Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless problem

• Please log in to reply

slickshoes510

slickshoes510

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I have been having problems with my wireless connection. There are times when I can't connect and have to end up restarting the router in order to connect. This happens at least once (if not more) a day. What can I do? I'm thinking I may have set up something incorrectly. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi slickshoes510,

First thing to try would be to update your router's firmware to the latest version.

When you lose connection to your router, please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Along with this, the next time you lose connectivity, is the activity light on your router still indicating activity?

When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

slickshoes510

slickshoes510

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The message reads:

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has disconnected.
And errors occurred while renweing interface Wireless Network Connection 2: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

slickshoes510

slickshoes510

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There was an error under System for DHCP:

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00166F1FBE60. The IP address being used is 169.254.28.43.

blackbush21

blackbush21

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am having a similar problem, although I don't know if is exactly the same. I have a netgear wireless router and a Broadcom card built into my laptop. Usually I am connected just fine. But sooner or later I will simply lose my wireless connection. The way I know this has happened is that I can't find anything on the internet. My little wireless icon in the system tray looks fine, and usually my properties say that I am connected. but obviously I am not. The router operation looks OK.

I have looked at the event viewer but do not see any tcpip errors. I have tried to to an ipconfig release and renew, but I get an error message saying that the device is disconnected. To restore the connection, one of three things happens: 1) eventually it will restore by itself, 2) I reboot the router, or 3) I reboot the PC.

I have changed the channel but this has no effect. I do live in an apartment building and there are usually three or four networks in range with good signals. A couple of times when I have lost my connection, I have connected to one of these other networks just to make sure my wireless card was working.

Any ideas?

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I am having a similar problem, although I don't know if is exactly the same. I have a netgear wireless router and a Broadcom card built into my laptop. Usually I am connected just fine. But sooner or later I will simply lose my wireless connection. The way I know this has happened is that I can't find anything on the internet. My little wireless icon in the system tray looks fine, and usually my properties say that I am connected. but obviously I am not. The router operation looks OK.

I have looked at the event viewer but do not see any tcpip errors. I have tried to to an ipconfig release and renew, but I get an error message saying that the device is disconnected. To restore the connection, one of three things happens: 1) eventually it will restore by itself, 2) I reboot the router, or 3) I reboot the PC.

I have changed the channel but this has no effect. I do live in an apartment building and there are usually three or four networks in range with good signals. A couple of times when I have lost my connection, I have connected to one of these other networks just to make sure my wireless card was working.

I have the exact same problem with my belkin router, firware is up to date and the problem happens to all my computers on the network. Does anybody know what to do, this is really frustrating...

Edited by kebabboy, 22 May 2006 - 02:42 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
A couple of things to try -- goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer and then see if you still get disconnected.

Once you have established a connection to your network, goto Start --> Run --> type services.msc and press OK --> Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration (it'll be at the bottom), right-click and select Properties --> Click Stop -- wait for the service to stop, and then click OK. Now, see if you still lose your connection.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply,

Ok so I went to the network connections and my authentication tab is all greyed out so I can't change anything but the IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network is unchecked as you said. Secondly when I stop the WZC I don't lose my connection. In fact it seems to be smoother.

I can't really tell though if it changed anything over the next 5 mins, I'll come back in a few days with some feedback. Thanks a lot though!!!

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok well it's been two days now and as far as i can tell the problem isn't really gone, I've had to restart my router this mornig because my web browser wouldn't load any pages on any of my computers on the network.
This probelm seems to be very widespread, you can see a lot of strange limited connectivity topics in this forum and elsewhere. Since this seems to be affecting a lot of people someone must have an idea on how to solve this... please speak out!!!

Anyway Dan G if you have any other suggestions don't hesitate!!
Thanks

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you been disabling WZC each time your computer starts up? You could create a batch file to make this process easier, however WZC would be restarted each time you restarted your computer. So, have you been shutting it down each time?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Oops, no I hadn't been reseting WZC every time so i'll give it an other go over the next few days. Instead of creating a batch file can I automatically reset WZC by selecting the appropriate startup type when I am in the WZC menu?

Ok so I have a lot of errors and warinings but they are mostly the same:

Errors:

Source: SCardSvr, Event:610
Description:
Smart Card Reader 'O2Micro PCMCIA Reader 0' rejected IOCTL POWER: The smart card is not responding to a reset.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

This error has occured 11 times in two days

Source:02SCBUS
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( O2SCBUS ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: , IOCTL POWER failed with status 0xc0000014.

This error has occured 12 times in two days.

Those are the two main errors I get, there's an otherone concerning my cdrom but I think it isn't relative to the problem.

Warnings:

Source:b57w2k, Event:4
Description:
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.

This waring has occured 11 times over 10 days
Furthermore, I don't use my ethernet connection so I don't see why this pop's up...

Source:Server, Event:2504
Description:
The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B8363575-4DBF-4565-967F-89FF2E16890A}.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
This warning occured only twice in ten days

Source:Mrxsmb, Event8006
Description:
The browser has received an illegal datagram from the remote computer ACER-57DBDDB911 to name WORKGROUP on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{B8. The data is the datagram.

This error occured 4 times in ten days

Those are all the errors I get.

One more question:

I've been on Belkin's site and for where I live and the ISP I have they suggest I select a PpoE connection, right now my connection is set to dynamic, but every time I change it to PpoE as they suggest, I lose my connection to the internet inspite of having entered all the codes my ISP gave me in the correct fields while configurating my router. Do you think my problems could be linked to this?

This mornig the problem happened again: msn+skype no problem but web browser is all broken..

Anyway thanks a lot Dan G for your help and patience.

Mat

Edit:

While my connection was going crazy again I tried your advice at the top of this thread:

ipconfig/release returned:
No operation can be preformed on Local Area Connection while it has it's media disconnected and
No operation can be preformed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has it's media disconnected

Is due to the fact that WZC is disabled?

Edited by kebabboy, 28 May 2006 - 12:51 PM.

William Evans

William Evans

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So what happened here? did this issue get resolved. I have a similar problem and thought i might be getting some where with this post but it just ends with no resolution :whistling:

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
"Limited or no connectivity" is an utterly generic error message, signalling anything from bad hardware, to network interference, to driver issues, etc. All it means is that the computer is not pulling an IP address, and it's nearly useless from a troubleshooting standpoint.