Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I remove old boot options?

• Please log in to reply

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I recently installed a beta version of Vista as a second operating system alongside XP. As all i was doing was taking a quick peek at what it looked like and the what obviuos changes had been made, i then uninstalled it about a week or so later. I then used Acronis Disk Director to remove the partition i had set up for Vista and allocate the space back to XP.

What i cannot get rid of is the boot screen that appears asking me to choose my operating system; i.e. XP or Vista. How do i do this safely?

Many thanks
Matt

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there the sound tank, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Goto:
> Start
> Run
> type in "C:\boot.ini"

This will bring up the boot.ini file, copy all of the files contents and paste it here so we can have a look at it. We can then remove the wrong line safely.

Cool :whistling:

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou

I have attached details as requested. It appears to me that the boot.ini file is all ok as there is no mention of Windows Vista. The Tuneup backup is displayed when if an error occurs. My gut feelin is that Vista instaleed some form of extra boot loader that i must need to remove somehow.

------------------------------
[boot loader]
;timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /TUTag=NM3INF
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /noguiboot /TUTag=NM3INF-BAK

Anyway, if you can tell me what i need to do it will be much appreciated.

:whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that's because vista no longer uses the boot.ini file (one of the changes in Vista you were taking a peek at).

Hopefully, when you removed vista, you didn't remove the c:\boot folder

Inside, you will find a file called fixntfs, if so, do the following

open a command prompt in that folder (or anywhere and navigate to that folder) and type

fixntfs -lh
<enter>

this will write the old boot loader back--assuming that you had a fairly recent copy of vista...I do not think the earlier versions had this utility as the process was much more involved.

This is why we do not play with Betas on our real machines, but load them on test beds...and for that matter, why we don;t load betas unless we are beta testers....

(wags finger at sound tank)

Leave beta testing to those who truly know how to muck up a machine! :whistling: (and then painfully figure out ways to get out of it)

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the response Gerryf. Yes i did have a recent release of vista(5308). I have located the folder you are talking about and indeed inside is a file called fixntfs.exe. I am a bit confused however about how to open the command prompt in that folder. The only way i know how to get a command prompt is via th run command and i cannot seem to work out how to navigate to the required folder. If I type in c:\boot it just tells me it isn't recognized and jumps back to the "documenst and Settings prompt. I have also tried opening the exe but the command prompt just does that flash open and close thing.
:blink: :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you're inside of windows...(doesn't matter where) do your start > run > cmd...now use windows explorer to locate the fixntfs file...click and drag that file into the command prompt now at the command prompt you should see "c:\<path to the fixntfsfile>" before pressing enter and AFTER THE LAST SET OF QUOTES put -lh then press enter..that should run the utility

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It doesn't want to do it. After following your instructions it comes with up error: To change boot code use bootsect.ext from the boot folder of the install media.
I have tried searching(including hidden files) on both my computer and the XP instal disc but cannot find the file it refers to.
:whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try
fixntfs.exe -xp

If that does not do it, then try this

Boot off of the XP CD into the Recovery Console, log in, and run:
fixboot
fixmbr

Reboot

the sound tank

the sound tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry guys, still getting a bit confused.

I went into the recovery console and started the "fixboot" as suggested but it came up telling me the target was drive E. Drive C conatins my operating system, not drive E which is a completely separate physical drive only containing files. How do I get the fixboot to locate the correct drive? :whistling:

Also the physical disk that drive C is on actually has 2 partitions to it. There is a small partition located before the operating system partition that holds the pagefile( done as a tweak at setup for Music applicataion improvements). Will this create any issues?