Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

inaccessible files

• Please log in to reply

quincyjones

quincyjones

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all, I tried to copy a whole bunch of files (mostly mp3's I've spent hours ripping from my CD's, but others too eg word etc) from a laptop (XP) to my mp3 player so that I could back them up on my PC. I drag and dropped (maybe 4 gigs), as usual, but they all seem to have simply vanished!
They didn't copy to the MP3 player and now when I view them in the origional laptop directory, I can see them, their sizes, properties, etc but when I try to open them I get an error, "access denied".
Under details it says the files are probably in use by another program but there's nothing running. I've tried a system restore and I even tried opening the command prompt, closing down all other tasks and ending explorer.exe from the task manager, then trying to access the files from the command prompt but it won't, although again I can see them in the DIR listing.
Please help! :whistling:

Edited by quincyjones, 12 April 2006 - 05:17 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi quincyjones...

You'll need to Take Ownership of the files in question to recover them.

wannabe1

quincyjones

quincyjones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Wannabe1, I'll try that

quincyjones

quincyjones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
IT WORKED!!!
WANNABE1 (and geeks to go) is the greatest, you saved me hours and hours (more like days) of most boring re-ripping! I thought they were gone.
THANKS SO MUCH
:help: :whistling: :blink:

Edited by quincyjones, 12 April 2006 - 05:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome! :whistling:

wannabe1