Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 SP2 takes time to clear history in rare case.

• Please log in to reply

Apoorva

Apoorva

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello! My name is Apoorva. I am using Windows XP SP2 and Internet explorer 6 SP2.

Now, I am facing a problem with Clear History option which is found in Internet Properties(Start - Control Panel - Internet History) which is used to clear history record.

From past 1 week, I have been clicking on the 'Clear History' button, and it is taking a bit of more time to clear the history records then it used to take 1 week before.

I don't know what is the reason for this longer time and it is taking to clear the records. I have also scanned my entire hard disk with 2 antivirus(1 local antivirus scanner and one on the web) and no viruses were found.

Please help me out if anybody in this forum has a solution for this kind of problem.

Apoorva.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Apoorva, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

Usually when clearing out history, it clears out temp files used by the internet to. So the more files the longer it will take. Also I found a program that may come of use to you:

History Cleaner

This program will clean out the histroy of any web browser present.

Cool :whistling:

Apoorva

Apoorva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I agree to your answer but I have one more account in WinXP.
And, the Clear History is not taking much time in this 2nd account as compared to the 1st account in which it is taking time.

Say, for e.g., if in 1st account in XP, if the Clear History is takes 8secs, than in the 2nd account in XP, the Clear History is taking only 2 secs.

So, what should I do now?

Apoorva.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi there again Apoorva, sorry for the late reply.

Ok, there are certain ways we can speed up the computer. First

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start then All Programs, Accessories then System Tools, click on Disk Defragmenter. Click on C:\ and then on Defragment.

This will take a bit of time. I cannot be sure if this will work, because as I have said before maybe user 1 is more frequently using the internet and downloading things, where as user 2 is just checking his mail. (This is an example Example)

Also if you download TuneUp Utilities 2006 there is an internet optimizer.

Once you have downloaded and installed "TuneUp Utilities", open it and goto "Optimize And Improve", then click on "Tune Up System Optimizer". Once the new window has opened click on "Complete Maintenance on computer", click "Start Scan". The proccess will take a few minuits, when complete click "Correct Problems".

Once again go back to "Tuneup System Optimizer" and this time click on "Accelerate downloads and internet surfind", select your connection type (eg. 56kb), then "Next" and "next" again when done. Then click "Finish", when the message box comes up asking if you would like to restart, click "No".

Open "Optimize & Improve" again. This time on "Tuneup RegistryDefrag. follow the prompts until registry defrag has been completed, restart your computer.

Try and see if there is an improvment in any way, this should make things run a bit faster, not just when clearing your history, but the entire system preformance.

Cool :whistling: