Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking CPU's

• Please log in to reply

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Can somebody tell me how to overclock my P4 2.8GHz Processor?

Advertisements

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
If I may make a suggestion, check out the tutorials, there is one that explains overclocking as a principle and another that explains how to overclock

How-To

Overclocking Explained

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 12 April 2006 - 12:33 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try looking no one here is going to go through the specific step by step guide to overclocking of that specific CPU and whatever ram you are using it would take far to long and would be pointless. Overclocking is dangerous and you have to know what you are doing in order to acheive it isnt a follow this guide thing, its a go and spend a couple of weeks learning about computers then try it thing.

Like i said there is more than the information you need on the internet you just have to look for it, i like google you just type in what you want and it will find it for you but there are lots of effective search engines.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Do you think that this is sufficient enough information?

Intel overclocking is thus quite a simple process.

1. Boot the computer into the BIOS screen.

2. Increase FSB speed in 5-10MHz increments. Reboot after each increment to ensure that the system can still boot into Windows properly.

3. If the system hangs, crashes or refuses to boot into Windows, increase the memory voltage slightly and retry. If this does not work, increase the chipset voltage and finally the core voltage. If this still does not work, reduce FSB settings slightly, reset the voltages to their previous values and try again.

4. Keep going until the system can no longer boot reliably into Windows, then back off to the previous 'safe' settings. Keep an eye on the processor's temperature in the BIOS. Remember that it should be under 70°C.

5. Benchmark the overclocked system and compare the results to the performance baseline established earlier. If the system does not complete the benchmarks or crashes, either reduce the FSB setting slightly or increase voltages to compensate and retry.

6. Depending on the current overclocked FSB speed, a memory divider can be used to try to achieve higher speeds. Note that the memory may not be the limiting factor, and if it is not, the divider will not help.

7. Once a fully benchmarked overclocked setting is achieved, run the Prime95 stress test for a couple of hours to verify that the system is generally stable. Enjoy the free additional performance!

If this is sufficient then I will try it. What can go wrong?!!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I know someone who tried just what you say. The computer was unstable somewhat so boosting core voltages little by little did make it more stable. The someone was me and one day i fired the puter up and fried the cpu, motherboard, video card, sound blaster audigy card and the memory in one second. None would work in any puter i tried. That was about $500 down the tubes for what little speed improvement i got. If you want a fast computer buy a fast computer, its cheaper. I did get the athlon 2400 almost to 3000 before everything fried.

SRX660

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Ha ha ha. That was not a cruel laugh. Just a nice friendly laugh. IM not going to try and jack it up MAJORLY. Just an extra 200MHz or so. Do you reckon that is possible?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes but like i said LEARN, if you understand what doing what does then you are less likely to do something by accident, yes overclocking IS simple sometimes but if you go in not knowing your stuff something goes wrong, shock horror i dont know what actually is wrong and because i didnt understand what i did i couldnt explain it to people.

If you understand how memory works and how voltage affects components you gain an understanding of how far its safe to push it otherwise you keep going until it break basically, sure you can go up till it stops working but its much better to know to stop before it stops working.

If you try it and dont know what you are doing then the only person to balme when you fry your system is yourself.

AMD overclocking is generally easier because they have the multiplier unlocked going down they run cooler and there is more performance increase hoe every extra clock than your average intel.

Also its foolish to overclock an intel system using the stock cooler, the same goes for most chips the only ones that are really acceptable overclockers using the stoclk are the 939 AMD chips but thats because A. they are cool and B. the stock cooler is better than stock coolers usually are. Ive a friend who overclocks using an intel he uses one of the big thermalright 120mm HSFs and those are about as good as air cooling get his load temps are still well above 50 and into the 60s at times so if youre going to overclock better cooling is a must.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
These should help alot. AMD64s and P4s OC by similar proceses, just ignore references to HTT for OCing P4.

http://www.dfi-stree...ead.php?t=20823
DFI Forums - Other - "THE" Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking guide! (merged all the overclocking stickies into one guide!)

http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1804
Beginners Guides: Overclocking the CPU, Motherboard and Memory - PCStats.com

http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=1494
Beginners Guides: 101 Tips and Tweaks for Windows - PCStats.com

http://www.tweakxp.c...ticle37124.aspx
TweakXP.com - Broadband Internet Connection Tweaking

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Is there anybody out there who would do it for me. Businesses etc. I want to squezze just an extra 200MHz out of the machine. That can't be THAT hard surely?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You probably could but i dont think you really understand that 200Mhz isnt alot its nothing performance wise for you really your not going to notice it.

Advertisements

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Well, you will need a new mobo, but that should be it.

I can't do it for you; you live in England and I can't reach that far :whistling:

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Iknow it would not up performance but anything over 3GHz would be better than any of my friends computers. They would be impressed if I could say all those technical computing terms and show off that I overclocked to 3.4GHz or something. I'm desperate for an overclock. And I need help really bad man. REALLY BAD!!!

By the way, I don't care if my Computer melts as long as there isn't a fire. I can't do that again.

Edited by Casheti, 13 April 2006 - 07:42 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dudev really youve been told where to look to get your info, im not going to help you break a maching just so you can show off to your mates who probably dont care.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
All I want is link to some software for an Intel 865 MOBO

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could try looking for it perhaps, it will actaully only take you about 30 seconds to find something or at least it should. Less time than it takes to type a post, but you dont get automatic overclocking software unless it came with your board it just replicates the bios settings in a windows environment unfortunatley you still need to know what youre doing.

Just go look for the information its what people do when they want to know how to do something you research the task and find out what you need to do, it doesnt take a long time and you understand what to do and what to do in the future.