Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

split drive

• Please log in to reply

frothybbc

frothybbc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
i have split the hard disk into C: and D: on winxp . all program files are on c: at the moment . not connected to internet yet or

the problem is , my teenage offspring download all sorts of rubbish and freebies etc. which i dont agree with but that , in reality happens .

1) can i ensure that one user uses D: so i can just erase all files when things go wrong .

2) ensure all data they download goes onto D:

3) presumably it is not possible as they need program files to access

I have had enough problems and dont want to suffer anymore .

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at the options with the shared computer toolkit from my signature

Tools Summary

The Toolkit includes several command-line tools and the following graphical tools:
Getting Started. Provides access to computer settings and utilities and helps first-time operators learn the Toolkit basics quickly.

Windows Disk Protection. Protects the Windows partition (typically drive C) that contains the Windows operating system and other programs from being modified without administrator approval. Disk changes made are cleared with each restart unless the administrator chooses to save them.

User Restrictions. Restricts user access to programs, settings, and Start menu items. The tool also allows you to lock shared local user profiles to prevent permanent changes. (This tool is specifically for use in workgroup environments that do not use Active Directory and Group Policy. A Group Policy template is also included for use in Active Directory environments.)

Profile Manager. Creates and deletes user profiles. You can use this tool to create user profiles on alternative drives that will retain data and settings even though Windows Disk Protection is on. You can also use the tool to completely delete profiles that have been locked by the User Restrictions tool.

Accessibility. Makes Windows accessibility options and utilities such as StickyKeys, FilterKeys, and Magnifier available to users who have been restricted from accessing Control Panel and other system settings.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'd create a dual-boot!

Make his/her the default, with no password, and your windows to be passworded. Create a backup image after you've installed her main programs, and revert to that image everytime something goes wrong!

This way he/she stays out of your stuff, doesnt mess up your windows, and you dont have to hassle with windows sharing protocols ( I just hate to have to )

But thats just my opinion.

frothybbc

frothybbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
that sounds a good option V .
but quite simply can i use win explorer to send everything to D: or a copy of everything .

If it all becomes a pain i can't be bothered . the sharing business has disheartened me already and trying to set a user up so everything (data ) goes to D: is a pain and i am still not confident it has all been set correctly .

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
You can use a program to hard-copy the current C: drive ( given there's enough space on the D: ) and put it there..

Then I'd install a bootloading program to differentiate between the two OSs