Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do you install an AGP slot

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I noticed that there is a spot on my motherboard where the AGP slot is supposed to be, but there is nothing there. So I was wondering if its possible to go to a place to get one installed or if its even possible.

Theres a pick of my motherboard, and a pic of what its supposed to look like.

mine:
Posted Image

other:

Posted Image

Edited by SOORENA, 12 April 2006 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You cant install a slot onto a motherboard after production, at least not on most motherboards or an electrical engineering degree.

Unfortunately you are stuck.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Are there places where they can install it for you? If so would be cost a lot?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you know what you're doing you can replace MOST things on the mobo like that (like capacitors and what nots) ....are the little dots in picture one actually holes? if so i would imagine that you COULD theoretically get an agp port from somewhere (no idea where you'd get such a thing) and slot it into place...then solder it from the bottom...but...that doesn't sound remotely safe

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
They don't seem to be holes. They're sort of like silver dots.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would more than likely take more time and cost more than orfering a new PCI-E or even the AGP version of that motherboard. If they just didnt put the interface on then i suppose its theoretically possible, but of course alot of things are theoretically possible that you really wouldnt do.

Its possible for me to build a high power metal cutting laser, i shouldnt do it im a border line pyromaniac and trekie, the temptation would be to great.

Its possible for me to build and fly my own light aircraft, should i do it no,

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Its possible for me to build a high power metal cutting laser, i shouldnt do it im a border line pyromaniac and trekie, the temptation would be to great.

YOU SHOULD DO IT AND YOU WILL...then you will find a way to ship it to me

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.powerlabs.org/laser.htm theres this plan to make one, i could probably have done it without one i daresay being a former physics swat but its always nice to have a plan. It sounds to me easier than he makes it out but us computer geeks are good at powersupplies where he seems to fall down. I also think it may be feasible to make a very small solid state laser like the US military are making to shoot down mortars but that may be my false impression of the ease of availability of raw materials.

But seriously if i built a laser i would probably attach it to one of these http://www.usmechatr...page/turret.htm built by a couple of nutters true to my own heart.

And that sould only lead to bad things possibly to me, more likely to others first.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hello?! what does that have to do with this topic?!?!?!

TechieNate

TechieNate

• Pip
  • 9 posts
seems to me your stuck with PCI Graphics.. there are still some video cards with PCI Slots its just that it runs slower than AGP but then PCI-E takes lead oh and that Motherboard seems to be slightly different model to the one YOU have... unless the manufacturer forgot to put an AGP Slot in the MOBO :whistling:

Edited by TechieNate, 13 April 2006 - 12:55 PM.