Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Dropping Problems

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Recently every few hours my Internet will slow drastically, then shut down and will not work until I turn off the computer power and reset the modem. I have a MTS SpeedStream ADSL modem and a D-Link DI-624 router (wired with wireless disabled).

The problem is recent and it is not the cause of a new modem\router as I have had them for a long time now. I know that this is a big problem to tackle (with so many possibilities of what-went-wrong), and I really appreciate the effort of anyone who helps.

If you need any type of log or addition information, please ask

I guess a mod moved it to hardware, I really don't think it is a hardware problem, I posted it in internet and listed my hardware in case you needed to know. Whatever..

Edited by wm_hunter, 12 April 2006 - 04:12 PM.

Advertisements

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The problem is getting worse, please someone help me out. I didn't post much info because I don't know what you want.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello wm_hunter,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The only recent error messages are

1. The Creative Service for CDROM Access service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

It appears a few times under source "service control manager"

2. The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.

Warning under "Dnscache"

Do you want me to attempt the ipconfig now?

Edited by wm_hunter, 13 April 2006 - 08:54 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Do you want me to attempt the ipconfig now?

You only need to try this when you actually lose your connection.

In the meantime, try setting up a Static IP --
Goto Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK -->type IPCONFIG /ALL --> copy down the following details:
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
(2) DNS Servers

Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway --> Now select Use the following DNS Servers --> Enter in the two DNS Servers that you wrote down (if you only have one, leave the alternative blank --> Press OK.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Do I really want to setup a static IP? My modem is Dynamic and every time it turns off the IP is reassigned, not trying to contradict you but, you sure about the static?

It has not disconnected in a while, but time will tell

Edited by wm_hunter, 14 April 2006 - 01:04 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I always suggest setting up a static IP when users are having DNS issues -- if you don't wish to use a Static IP, then it's entirely up to you.. Your modem being dynamic really has no bearing on your computer's internal IP, especially since you have a router in the mix. In a small home network environment there's no reason to not use a static IP.

Please let me know if you continue to experience disconnects.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
If I encounter any more I will set up the static and get back to you, the internet seems to be steady now, it might have been a problem with the ISP.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It happend again. I will set it up on static IP now and see if that helps.

Your IPConfig release and renew did nothing.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The problem keeps happening. I have changed to static to no effect.

It seems that it will drop and my router will fail to reconnect over and over again. Please if you could help me find a different solution it would be appreciated.

Edited by wm_hunter, 17 April 2006 - 05:36 PM.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Late reply I know.

For those that were interested, my modem had become so old it could not properly handle the bandwidth for the two connections. New modem, problem gone.

Edited by wm_hunter, 29 July 2006 - 06:58 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
That sounds Fishy.. I hate it when tech's blame it on the modem (Not DanG, but your ISP).... Did you upgrade it to one of the Motorolla Surfboard 5100 Series.. Just curious... for good reasons.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 30 July 2006 - 02:24 AM.