Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlooke Express prompting for password

• Please log in to reply

StampingJen

StampingJen

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Just set up with SBC Yahoo DSL. Got the new SBC email account set up, plugged in appropriate info into Outlook Express, emails working fine there, no problem.

I then created 2 sub-accounts on SBC. Went into OE, created the two new sub-accounts there using the same credentials/setup as the main SBC account (except for account name/passwords of course). I do a send/receive and it keeps prompting me for a password on both the sub-accounts (main account synchs up fine). I verified the password is correct, same one on SBC as is in OE. I even logged into Yahoo itself with the sub-account names and passwords, then tried OE again, same prompt. I put in the password and it just keeps asking for it again. For some reason it's not recognizing my username or password in OE.

pop3 account: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
smtp account: smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

any ideas? I must be missing something! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I put in the password and it just keeps asking for it again

do you mean "it keeps asking for it" as in it's rejecting the password and not letting you complete the action? or it keeps asking you every time you want to send and recieve...but it allows you to preform the acition?

StampingJen

StampingJen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Does not let me perform the operation. The window just keeps prompting me to put it in, so I cancel it. The error then comes up saying it doesn't recognize the username or password, but I've verified they definitely ARE correct - case sentivity and all. I can log into Yahoo fine with the password I use, and in the account setup I have put the exact same password.

StampingJen

StampingJen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I figured it out - The account name had to have my full email address, including the domain. It's odd because the main email is not set up that way, it just has the account name, it doesn't have the domain.

Thanks for your time!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this a single user system? (one logon for windows) or multiple user system?...are all these addresses being added to the SAME instanse of OE (if you're on a single user system thy have to be...) try removing the original email account from OE and setting up one of the subaccounts

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...that makes sense....sort of...i guess the original mail account assumed the domain account name..then each secondary account was assuming that it would be a different domain...because why would you need the other accounts on the same OE instance...though that's just theory