Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer keeps restarting when I turn it on

• Please log in to reply

velocity09

velocity09

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I cannot get access to anything what can I do? when I turn it on it keeps restarting I've tried safe mode and it doesn't get passed the restarting state. I don't have an xp disc since it was preinstalled and I don't know of anyone that has one, I'm not sure what is left to do since I have so much info on my computer that I would hate to loose.please help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
How long do you have before it "restarts"

Any messages? Any errors?

Or does it simple cut off?

Are you on broadband? One thing you might consider is removing the network jack (cable dsl) on start up and see if you can boot that way. It could be a malware program crashing your system but it could be hardware too.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
as soon as i turn it on all i see is the toshiba logo along with the centrino before it starts looping. no, no broadband, just wireless dsl which i've tried turning off. nothing seems to work,\.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
wireless dsl is broadband

It could be malware malfunctioning...it could be heat, it could be the dc-to-dc board on your laptop.

My guess is hardware more than malware,,,just malware is a remote possibility.
Unplug your dsl router for a moment, and if the condition repeats, it is more than likely hardware

Clean the dust from the vent...try blowing a small fan across it. I'm tending more toward power, but try heat first as it is easy to isolate

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I've oppened up the laptop and I tried cleaning as much as i could, especially all around the fan area. It didn't work, what else can i do?

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
how can i remove my hardrive to save it with my sisters' laptop, will it even fit? I have a toshiba laptop and she has a gateway laptop, sorry I'm not that knowledeable when it comes to computers.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi velocity09...

Will it boot to Safe Mode using the F8 key during boot?

wannabe1

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
no i've tried all the options when i press f8 it seems that it automaticallly restarts and that's where it starts looping right from the beggining.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the recovery cd that came with the machine? Maybe we can use Recovery Console to get into the machine. I'd sure like to get this thing running long enough to use the Configuration Utility.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yeah let me insert it, the last time I tried this I backed out because it said something about erasing the hardrive... but i'm desperate and if I have to loose a lot just to get my laptop back then be it...

Advertisements

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
what do i do next?

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
it's giving me two options
1. recovery of pre-installed software
restore the hard drive to the out-of-box state.

2. erase the hard disk
delete all the data and partitions from your hard drive

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't want to run the recovery operation...what I'm looking for is a screen like this. Only instead of pressing Enter...press R.
Posted Image

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That cd isn't going to work for us. Can you get your hands on a regular retail version of XP...maybe from a friend?

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
not anytime soon, where can i buy one? it seems that if windows xp came pre-installed on your computer you don't receive one of those cd's right?

Edited by velocity09, 12 April 2006 - 11:52 PM.