Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer keeps restarting when I turn it on

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does your laptop have a floppy drive?

Advertisements

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
will it work if I use this cd (recovery cd)? even if it means loosing all of my documents.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
you mean the old floppy disc? 3.5 inch square ones? if so, no it does not, just a cd drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll lose more than just your documents. You'll also have to reinstall every program you've installed since it was purchased. It will be just like the day it was bought. And we still don't know if this will even fix the problem...though it does sound like a software conflict to me.

I'll let you decide if you want to do that or not.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yeah, i'll go ahead and do it, i still have all the cd's of all the programs I had, which it's not a whole lot, since I just do basic computing stuff, ms word, pictures, music files, and a couple of videos all of which I have saved on cd's.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok then...boot to the cd and use the first option...if it runs long enough to do the recovery, it was probably the software conflict causing the problem. Had you installed anything new just prior to this happening?

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
not that i can remember, the only thing that really changed was that I got a new ac adapter, but I've had it for a couple of weeks and it seemed to be working fine, I do remember erasing a lot of files that I didn't recognize since I figured it would make my computer run faster, just like when I first bougth it, do u know why computers slow down after a while, i've had mine for almost two years now, and it's not like i have a lot of memory used.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I did the first option and now there's 3 different ones:

1. recovery to the out-of-box state

2. recovery with out changing hard drive partitions

3. recovery to a custom size partition

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you haven't changed any partitions while you've had it, use option 1

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is a partition? which means that I probably haven't changed any so I guess I'll use this option, yet option number two also says (restore system install to drive C: without changing partitions or drive sizes. Any data on other partitions will not be touched.) does this mean that my data won't be erased?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That means if you have more than one partition (which would show as a drive in My Computer ie: C:, D:, etc...) the recovery won't erase the date on D:...only on C:

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
does it usually take this long? it's only at 18%.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...it does. If it asks for your product key, it should be on a sticker somewhere on the machine...probably the bottom. If the machine has run this long, it will probably complete and run.

It's late here, and I need some sleep. Let me know how it goes...I'll check back first thing in the morning to see how you did and if you need any more assistance.

Any last minute questions?

Edited by wannabe1, 13 April 2006 - 12:25 AM.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
so what can I do to maintain my computer running just as fast as when I first purchased it? If I add more memory will that be enough? I'm not sure which numbers are for what but I have 60bg hard drive and 256 mb and it processing speed is 2.8.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
thanks for all the help, I truly do appreciate it. thanks man, I'll let you know how it went.