Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another two routers uplink question :)

• Please log in to reply

asadikhan

asadikhan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have two routers, one is wired Linksys BEFSR41 and the other is wireless Dell Truemobile.

My cable modem goes into my BEFSR41 which has an ip address of 192.168.1.1 and has the DHCP on.

I take one of the ports of the BEFSR41 and connect the WAN port of Wireless router to it. The ip address of my Wireless router is 192.168.2.1 and all the laptops have static ip addresses like 192.168.2.x

This worked. I could even ping 192.168.1.1 from the laptops. Browse the internet, etc.

However, this morning the internet suddenly stopped on the laptops. I went down to check what's going on, and realized that I could not even ping 192.168.1.1 from the wired PCs. I did a "save changes" on BEFSR41 and everything started to work again.

I am just wondering, should I change the ip address of my wireless router to 192.168.2.something as well? And should I leave the laptops as static ips 192.168.2.x or should I turn the automatically configure on them?

OR is everything ok just the way it is?

Asad

Advertisements

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Generally speaking, unless you have some reason for having seperation in your networks, you should keep all the IP addys using the smae format. Here is how my network is set up and it works great:

BEFSR11 = 192.168.1.1
BEFW11S4 = 192.168.1.2
Computers (wired & wireless) on DHCP addys from 192.168.1.100-199
File server set static at 192.168.1.50
I also have DHCP turned off on my wireless so that the request will 'pass through' to my wired router