Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

back up server

• Please log in to reply

thelastelephant

thelastelephant

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hey does anyone have a good easy guide on how to create a back up server?
i need like a total step by step guide from start to finish because i have never done it before and am not sure what to do but i cant really find one. anyone got any suggestions?
thanks a bunch!

Advertisements

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
What sort of an application?

Home use? Small business?

Do you have a lot of data?

Is it sensitive, requiring a high degree of security?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why are you wanting to use a backup server? you could get a tape drive and archiving software for cheaper than an actual server (unless you already have the box lying around) tapes are alot safer because you can take them out of the building and store them offsite just incase the building explodes or something...i use hp ultrium2 tape drives with 400GB tapes for my backup system with arcserv brightstore backup software for the backup management...works great..schedule a backup and you're done...i believe arcserv (computer associates) software can also be used for backing to an actual server as well..don't think it HAS to be a tape drive