Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade to XP without old ME disk?

• Please log in to reply

noendo

noendo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am attempting to upgrade my old hdd to Windows XP Home Edition. However, I am apparently required to
insert the Windows ME disk. Dell did not put a ME disk in my Easter basket - so does that mean I have to buy the full version of XP?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Noendo

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes, unless you still have Windows ME installed in which case you should be able to upgrade your existing version (ME) by running the XP Upgrade CD from within Windows ME. However, that's not the recommended method since it can lead to instability problems and error messgaes later on (mainly because ME is so 'buggy').

The recognised method of installing XP is onto a 'clean' disk which has just been formatted. This gives XP the best possible chance of installing properly. In your case this means buying the full version unless you can lay your hands on a copy of Windows ME or Windows 98 on CD which would be much cheaper than the full version of XP.