Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networking (desktop and laptop)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Please help resolve the problem we have with networking.
We have a Broadband connection that is working perfectly!
But we want our laptop to share this connection also. Can anyone help us please.

We have a modem connected to the splitter that is plug in the wall phonejack.

I already called a tech today who just rip me off with $82.50 call out fee.

We also have a wireless router, and a wireless card in the laptop. both pc has XP Home.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Emilita,

Have you tried following SpaceCowboy's tutorial? It should really cover this -- Start here: Wireless Home Network Physical Setup

If you run into any problems, then please don't hesitate to ask :whistling:

Edited by Dan G, 13 April 2006 - 08:33 PM.

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for the reply.
The problem is solved now, it turns out that maybe the DLink router was faulty, we took it back to the shop and bought Belkin package (modem/router and wireless card for laptop) and everything went fine after we plug them in and run the setup wizard.

We haven't done the file and printer sharing yet, so I am very grateful that you provided that link which I'll certainly use.

Thank you so much! You have been great help!

:whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I'm glad to hear that you managed to solve your problem :whistling:

Was it the tech who suggested that you replace the router..? Or was he completely useless? :blink:

Emilita

Emilita

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 273 posts
lol,
I guess he wasn't completely useless after all. Took him over an hour to realize it was faulty though. Who would think a brand new router would be faulty.
It's just that, I didn't like it when he said I should buy his products when he comes back plus another call-in fee.

That tech won't have many repeat costumers, I just found out that someone down the street called the same company and the tech also left with their money and computer wasn't fixed. He doesn't seem to care about customers it seems.

Oh well, I'm happy now. Maybe I should just learn to be a tech, lol

Thanks again Dan, I might have technical problem again oneday and post here.

~Emilita