Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New XP System keeps freezing

• Please log in to reply

fiction_welive

fiction_welive

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My friend recently bought a computer from an online company., 3btech.com.

The specs of the PC:
* Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800FSB Prescott
* MSI 865PE Neo2 Intel 865 Chipset Mainboard
* 2 Matched 256MB PC3200 Totaling 512MB DDR Memory
* 120GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
* Black DVD-RW Drive
* Black 3.5 in Floppy Drive
* ATI Radeon 9550SE 8x AGP 128MB and TV-Out
* 6 Channel Audio, Digital SPDIF
* 6 USB 2.0 Ports, (2 in front, 4 in rear), Firewire
* Serial ATA 2 Connectors
* 10/100 Ethernet LAN
* 56k v.92 PCI Modem
* Black Keyboard and Optical Mouse
* Round Cables

The computer runs at 125 Farenheit, which he originally thought meant it was overheating. I looked up the prcoessor, and thats a normal temperature.

The system continually freezes. I have it testing right now, and it isn't being used, simply sitting at the desktop. It has frozen up every 10-15 minutes or so. A restart is necesarry.

I'm not very familiar with XP, and he's not very familiar with installing an operating system in general, but he did it himself. The system came with no OS, so he bought and loaded XP on his own. The processor is listed twice in the System Device manager.

Any ideas on what the problem can be? My first thought it to reload XP and properly install all drivers and devices, but I'm not so sure.

Any help would be great, he's really in a jam as he just bought the PC.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

After installing the OS did he load the chipset drivers? They are located on a disk that came with the mobo.

Then get all the MS updates.

If problem persists check that the 4 pin connecter from the psu to the mobo is connected and not loose, also check the 20 pin connection from the psu to the mobo.

Run memtest86 to check the ram

You may also check the manufacturer of the HD for a diagnostic program to check the HD

Rick

fiction_welive

fiction_welive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, thanks for the help.

Any ideas if it is overheating? 125 Farenheit is normal, correct?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am not big into Intel and don't know all the specs but in general with any cpu I always try and keep any cpu around 40c / 104f when at idle (less than 5% cpu usage) and under 60c / 140f when under full load.

So the 52c / 125f is a bit warm if this is a idle temp but would not cause the problems you are having.

If the temp gets above 60c/140f instability can occur so you might want to keep an eye on that.

Rick