Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Loopback Adapter

• Please log in to reply

Phenom

Phenom

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just installed Kerio Firewall today and ran across a possible problem. I found a loopback adapter labeled "N/A" in "Network and Security" catagory under the "Trusted Area" tab. I've never voluntarily installed a loopback adapter and I'm not aware of any software that asked me to do so. I am running some uncommon software that most people don't have installed. (Alcohol 120% for example)

Also, I have the "No Script" extention for Firefox and one of the blocked scripts is http://127.0.0.1:44501 which relates to the loopback adapter.

I ran a full scan with Kaspersky and found nothing. Is there a possibility that a loopback adapter can be used by a third party for malicious purposes?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

I use Zone Alarm and have 127.0.0.1 listed. I also use YPops! so I can get my Yahoo! mail with Outlook Express. The only other one listed in the Trusted Zone by Zone Alarm is my wireless one. You may be using a similar program.

If you are still in doubt about it, I am sure your firewall will allow you to double/right-click on the item and change its permission. Zone Alarm persents a box to change from Trusted to Internet or Block. Even remove it.

FYI:

What is 127.0.0.1?

127.0.0.1 is the standard IP address used for a loopback network connection.

This means that if you try to connect to 127.0.0.1, you are immediately looped back to your own machine.

If you telnet, ftp, etc... to 127.0.0.1, you are connected to your own machine.

In other words, 127.0.0.1 is you.

For example, if your system was named "joker", and you attempted to telnet to 127.0.0.1, you would see:

# telnet 127.0.0.1
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to joker
Escape character is '^]'.

Convincing newbie's to connect to 127.0.0.1 is a frequent joke on the Internet.

Another name for 127.0.0.1 is localhost.

Hope this helps.

Ron

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure about your specific setup but the loopback is a diagnostics adapter on ALL machines...any machine with a network adapter has a loopback address (always 127.0.0.1)...don't know why you'r has a specific port attatched to it..unless you have some software that allows for connection to a server in certain conditioins (some software is designed to interact with a server running a database or other software..but can be installed as a stand alone..the way they get around not having a seperate server is by pointing the software to the loopback when it's a local install...some times these programs when installed WITH a server will need a specific port assignment on the server computer to work properly..which could explain the port assignment on the loopback addy)