Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Handle Invalid

• Please log in to reply

Duffman75

Duffman75

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
You guys helped me once before and I hope you can do it again. I'm using a mate's PC because I cannot get on the net on mine. I have a P4 running XP pro with the service pack 2

Connecting I get all the usual electronic love calls, a "validating user name and password" and then get kicked out with a "error 50 request not supported" sometimes followed by a "error 6 Handle Invalid".

I have checked the modem, swapping it out with a known working number and I know it is not the modem. My ISP is as usual less than helpful with its tech support.

I have a feeling that it may be malware. I recall that just before I got troubles, the machine logged into Microsoft for updates to XP. When it "updated" a whole lot of code flashed - I'd never seen that happen before.

I'm running AVG and until the connection went down it was updated religiously. I've also got Spybot 1.2 and am about to install a later version of this as well as Adaware. I've run all of these tools and come up with nothing.

I'm going to have to drag my box here at some stage - he's got broadband and I can configure a Network connection to you guys but it is likely to take a little time.

Good news is I am not in a hurry. Take your time and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I did a search at M$ and found http://support.micro...kb/158463/en-us M$ says "Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft SQL Server version 6.5. This problem has been corrected in U.S. Service Pack 2 for Microsoft SQL Server version 6.5. For more information, contact your primary support provider. " Looks to me like the place to start is at your ISP.

Duffman75

Duffman75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks very muchly. I have had another run at the ISP, again with little result. I'm going with another ISP and will post the experience later.

Thanks again.