Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Address Line

• Please log in to reply

psychepiper

psychepiper

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have a question, that hopefully isn't as bad as I'm guessing it probably will be. How come, when I type a web address into the URL line and hit enter, Internet Explorer won't take me to the site? I have to do everything else through Google or my Favorites menu.

You helped me so much with another problem, I'm hoping you can help me through this one, too!
:whistling:
~Psychepiper

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Do you get any messages like : 404 Page Not Found Error ? Have you tried using another browser and repeating the same procedure? Is it all URLs that IE will not go to or just a few after you typed them in? Will IE, once you've gotten a page loaded using favorites or Google, go to a page if you click on a link listed on that page normally or do you have to go back to Google, add to favorites then use the favorites link or what?

I would at least try another browser like Firefox and see if it produces the same problem.

Not much help at this time I know, but there are many very knowledgeable people on this forum who will surely have an answer to your probelm.

Ron

fatbunny88

fatbunny88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem. I type in an address in the address box, hit enter and it won't take me to it.

psychepiper

psychepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No I do not get any 404 messages; it just won't go anywhere at all. I haven't tried another browser yet, but I will when I get back onto my computer. It is only the URLs that I type in that will not work. If I use a link that's in my favorites, it works fine. So I can go to google from my links line, and then type in the web address/name of the site, and it will let me get there by clicking on Google's link.

Incidentally, I also am having issues with Excel. It just doesn't exist anymore. And it happened around the same time as the above. Are they linked together do you suppose?

fatbunny88

fatbunny88

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just downloaded Modzilla and it works fine. So maybe you can just use that.

psychepiper

psychepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm hesitant to download anything new; especially new stuff that I'm not familiar with, and I have never heard of either of those browsers. Also, there seems to be lots of crap on the computer as it is, crap I don't know where it came from.

I've fixed the Excel issue by installing Office on my computer again. I have run Ad-Aware and Spyware Remover, but that didn't find anything. Also, I have ewido, panda, hijackthis, and cleanup! on the computer; maybe they could help? Um...to add I don't seem to be getting my activex messages anymore either. Oh this is such a mess and I don't know how it got that way. :whistling:

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Oooh.. I have the same problem wheni go to my grandma's house. See, I had to tpye in the URL through Yahoo toolbar search. I think tha tif you get another browser, such as FireFox, it'll be fine. If you don't want to, then i don't know what to tell you.

BTW, i doubt the excel problem is linked to the toolbar problem. There's no reason for it to be. I may be wrong, but i strongly think that it doesn't have to do with the IE problem.

slk230red

slk230red

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had the same problem.... Windows XP update #KB908531 that was downloaded during automatic updates at 3:00 am on 4/15/06.
I removed this update and Explorer works like it did before.
I found this fix at another site that happened to a user on the same date.

psychepiper

psychepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OMG!!!!

Bell rings, light bulb goes off...

The other day I had my computer on, watching TV with a friend, I abandoned it to do some laundry and got sidetracked. Then, all of a sudden we heard the shutting-down noise and it restarted of it's own accord. I figured it must've been an update, but I didn't know an XP update would cause my thinger to go haywire so I didn't put two-and-two together.

How do I remove the update, slk230red?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Use your Control Panel's Add/Remove Utility. Make sure the little box "Show Updates" is checked. There's probably another work around other then deleting update, but I am not experiencing any problems with this so haven't checked if KB908531 is installed yet. :whistling:

Ron

iam2trickey

iam2trickey

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
hi
i hope you dont mind me adding my two cents on this i have the same problem it started sat 4/15 ie would not take to to web site i typed i could however go to ite in my favorite and links i could go to one site by typing in the url that was addtinggame.com and that was it i tried 30 or 40 sites to no luck i did a restore to a date that if worked fine and ie was working fine again i also updated my antivirus before i did the restore and that worked then on monday 4/17 ie started with the same problem again i also noticed my anti viru will not update and will not run a scan i get a window it state ymantic ha stoped responding and needs to close i have d/l netscape and that worked fine when i did the restore it was gone this time i d/l firefox and that work fine i i also d/l ie 7 beta from microsoft to see if that would work but it did the same thing i hope this info is helpful and trying to find a cure i still have the problem

rick