Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Probelms with Norton Anti-Virus.

• Please log in to reply

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,

I had Norton on a pc at work but it would not scan the pc when the user wanted it to.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it without any problems.

Im able to update annd install the defination files without any problem.

However when i clcik on scan i get an error message from Microsoft which reads something like "Due to an error Norton has had to close. We are sorry for any inconvienance, Send report. Dont send"

When i click on view technical details it reads

"C:\DOCUME~1\CSCMDN~1\LOCAL~1\Temp\WERA5.temp.dir00\appocmpat.txt"

Please can you help me with this?

Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that error message does not mean anything....that is the text file that MS will send if you hit download.

Opening that file may help.

Sounds like the issue is that Norton needs to be patched with an update.

When you removed Norton, it is sometimes a good idea to go the extra mile and remove all of it, using add/remove, then wiping the SYMANTEC folder in program files (if you do not have any other symantec products) and then wiping the symantec folder in c:\program files\common files, and then wiping the folder in c:\documents and settings\{user}\application data and c:\documents and settings\{user}\local user\application data

sometimes these programs that need to be deeply integrated into windows are very difficult to uninstall and reinstall

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thnaks for the reply gerryf

c:\documents and settings\{user}\application data .....cant see the application data folder

c:\documents and settings\{user}\local user\application data ........cant see the local user\application data

Is there a tool i could use to get rid of Norton completely

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Would this tool be of use to me?

http://service1.syma...r=&osv=&osv_lvl

Jazmeen

Jazmeen

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I suppose it would haha though I'm no computer wizz but I rekon it is, let someone confirm that first :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That tool will do

Try using show hidden files in tools, folder options, view to see if anything else shows up

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Tried the tool. Uninstalled then reinstalled. Still cnat get Norton to run a scan. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Have you thought about a lighter, simpler antivirus such as AVG, which is free. I mean what with norton turning the comp into a wading match, I wonder when I read "I have Norton and I have malware", why I don't reply um yes keep the malware then.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Scans which do not run can be an indication of malware, try these

You can run these Online Scans to keep the current malware in check

Panda Scan

House Call

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
This is a business pc guys. I dont think i should run "free for personal use" type programs on it.

Edited by doire, 13 April 2006 - 08:28 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Most of the antivirus scans have a profession option too(at a price) but if we can agree that your machine is compromised and the Norton has publish a removal tool because of the large amount of people wishing to remove it, I won't say any more here.

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
My advice is that Norton is a virus and if left untreated, it will take over you PC and will most likely lock up if you try to run symantec. So, best advice is to get rid of norton and get something like Mcafee, PC Cillin, or Zone Alarm Anti-Virus.