Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dropped Laptop Computer

• Please log in to reply

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Fell off the nightstand on to a carpet from about two feet. Everything seems to be working fine, but I am worried something could have been loosened or damaged. The computer makes a wierd electronic noise when searching now - not hard drive access, at least not the typical sound - just wondering what could have happened and if I can be proactive about checking to make sure nothing was damaged.

thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
could you describe the weird electronic noise? you could open up the laptop (assuming that it's not still under warranty as some laptop warranties are voided once the thing is opened) and see if you see anything visibly loose or broken

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

could you describe the weird electronic noise? you could open up the laptop (assuming that it's not still under warranty as some laptop warranties are voided once the thing is opened) and see if you see anything visibly loose or broken

The laptop is still under warranty so I definetly dont want to open it. The noise occurs most noticeably while web browsing, when a page is being loaded. Its not very loud but definetly wasnt there before. Its hard to describe; it is a very faint, metallic buzz.

I wonder if it would be worth sending the computer in to make sure everything checks out. Obviosuly I cant say that I dropped it, but maybe if I mention the noise they would check inside to make sure everything is OK?

by the way - I just bought this computer 3 days ago and allready managed to drop it (tripped on the power cord and pulled it off the table) :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you're worried about it (which i always worry about new sounds) i would take it in to get checked out since it's under warranty...i would back up anything important before doing so though...just to be safe...

does the sound..osilate? like a WHIRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRrrrrr...where the R is louder than the r or is it a constant sound? is it a jerky kind of osilation as if something were moving back and forth randomly?

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

if you're worried about it (which i always worry about new sounds) i would take it in to get checked out since it's under warranty...i would back up anything important before doing so though...just to be safe...

does the sound..osilate? like a WHIRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRrrrrrrRRRRrrrrr...where the R is louder than the r or is it a constant sound? is it a jerky kind of osilation as if something were moving back and forth randomly?

That sounds like it makes sense...it will just be hard to be without the computer for 4 weeks or however long it will prob take...I wonder if they might send a technician to my home?

Anyways it doesnt really sound like a whirring sound but more a metallic ticking/buzzing.