Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Classic Machines

• Please log in to reply

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I reccomend my old HP media centre comp, bout 6-7 years old. Solid as a rock. It's only got 128MB SDRAM and 900MHz Processor but I installed XP and it's GREAT. SOLID BLOOD. WORD.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I couldn't agree with you more, I used to like older women and now I like oldish comps. Just to please me could we see your specs then, use this little free program, scan, and copy the log back to here. I love this program as it is stand alone(non installware) btw, I will show you my machine too then when I get home, it's joy is that all the drivers of it are already in XP and save\reformat\reinstall\load takes 45minutes becuase the harddrive is only 6gb, something which stops me keeping stuff that should be backed up on it.

sysspecs
http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm

Edited by fleamailman, 13 April 2006 - 07:58 AM.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Sorry, but im not on it at the moment. But love the way you talk. Bout the older women and stuff. Ha ha ha. Very good

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
If you want I can go on it now. Hmmmm. How's that?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Old computers are only good for one thing, making super computers http://idea.uab.es/m...arallelKnoppix/ , http://www.linux.com...6/03/29/1857227 . Not really much use for much else unless you need a file server but old system arent so great because some have drive size limits which sucks. Ild still rather have a super computer.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
If they are good for makinf super computers, then what do you reckon I could do with that one that I have got?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you need a few to do that, just follow what it says up top and you have yourself a computing cluster and the more computers the more powerful, the only reason a normal person would do it is boredom, something to do(again boredom), or if they wanted to get a really high score in those medical research apps.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I agree with scot, understand that he is right as always so here I am always back on my test comp. And so everyone, forget "show your desktop" this is show your system specs time then:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
Memory (RAM): 256 MB
CPU Info: x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 349.5 MHz
Sound card: Crystal WDM Audio
Display Adapters: ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: 3Com 3C918 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905B-TX Compatible) - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
CD / DVD Drives: D: MATSHITADVD-ROM SR-8584A | E: LITE-ON LTR-12101B |
Default Printer:
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2 |
LPT Ports: LPT1 |
Mouse: 3 Button Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 6.0GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 3.8GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 1 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Product Make: OptiPlex GX1 350MTbr+
Serial Number:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 10/27/98 | Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03 | |
Time Zone: W. Europe Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation
Modems:

Your thinking "He must be joking" but honestly save\reformat\reinstall\load in about 45 minutes, all driver known by XP and everything important on the external 40gb drive.

Edited by fleamailman, 13 April 2006 - 08:57 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
3d rage, me likes: Ive got a 500Mhz PII with 64mg of ram at my grandparents house, i beleive its got a voodoo gfx card. Ive got a couple of 900Mhz PIII IBM T20s with 256ram and some intel crapix.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Maybe we should all make one MASSIVE cluster?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats what software like folding essentially does on a massive scale. Also a system known as "the grid" does the same thing its used in some of the larger research and education facilities on a global scale to allow them to process data very quickly that if they had to do it on there own single handedly would take weeks or even months, they then make the data available online.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Is it possible to link a cluster of comps online?

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hows this then. Specs of my OLD COMP. Does it have potential?

Attached Files

Edited by Casheti, 13 April 2006 - 09:10 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Yes, I think that was what that crime ring was busted for but I don't remember the link and the details.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Waht are you on about?