Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ERROR: Cannot find WINSRV

• Please log in to reply

skamaniac

skamaniac

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Computer locked up while doing a SP2 update and upon restart i get a blue screen error "CANNOT FIND WINSRV". Tried SAFE MODE and LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION and still get the error. This is XP Home Edition.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Try this..

Use Recovery Console

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into your floppy disk drive or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:

Press any key to boot from CD
Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console:

Welcome to Setup
Select your Windows XP installation. This installation is typically C:\Windows.
If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not have an administrator password, press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.
Warning After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.

At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.
After the removal finishes, type exit, and then press ENTER.
Restart your computer.

Important When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and you must follow these steps:

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
Click the Applications tab, and then click New Task.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

Right-click ObjectName, click Modify, and then type LocalSystem in the Value String box.
Restart your computer

Use one of the previous methods to remove Windows XP SP2 from your computer.
For additional information about how to install and use the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307654 How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

http://support.micro...ct=windowsxpsp2

Murray

skamaniac

skamaniac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK, I followed the instructions and when i reboot into safe mode the user screen comes up and asks for a password.......i have never had a password so i just pressed enter and i keep getting this error message SYSTEM CANNOT LOG YOU ON DUE THO THE FOLLOWING ERROR: THE PARAMETER IS INCORRECT PLEASE TRY AGAIN OR CONSULT YOUR ADMINISTRATOR.
I tried entering a password like ADMIN and others thinking that maybe there is a default password or something but then a baloon pop up comes up saying something about forgetting your password. HELP!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is the username in that logon box administrator ??

Murray