Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Recovery

• Please log in to reply

clicketysplit

clicketysplit

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Would anyone happen to know of a freeware for recovering media from a CD or
DVD that has been erased? Most of the downloads I came across are
trialware and only search out the deleted files but it doesn't allow me to
restore them. My hope is that there is someone out here that may have
created thier own or knows of a location on the net to a freeware that
allows for complete recovery of lost data from removable media.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Doug
Newport, RI

Edited by clicketysplit, 13 April 2006 - 05:43 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know if the disk has been erased there isnt anything free that will do it(or i havent heard of it). File recovery is an expsnisve and unfortunatley rarely succesful exercise unless you have access to a fully equiped forensic computer lab.

The runtime software has a trial i dont know if it allows file recovery during that trial. There are places that will recover data for you its expensive though due again to the difficult nature of file recoery, however you cant actually erase a DVD ROM, you can only erase DVD RW or DVD RAM disks or CD RW disks.

clicketysplit

clicketysplit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Like I mentioned, I have a data recovery program that scanned the disk and quite to my surprise found all the files that are on the disk, however, when I attempted to restore them to my hard drive the link redirected me to a sign up page for billing in the amount of $29.95, -of which I do not have at the moment. So that is why I am being a cheap skate and trying to get freeware.

Thank you anyway for your continued support!

Regards,
Doug Pounder
Newport, RI