Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Digital Camera question

• Please log in to reply

AndrewNeedsHelp

AndrewNeedsHelp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello again,

I have a question regarding the purchase of a new digital camera. This will be my first digital camera, and I'm not exactly sure if it will be able to hook up to my computer to transfer photos. The computer I'm currently using is a Dell Optiplex GX100 Celeron 800Mhz 128MB 6GB (If I've done my research correctly) and I'm about to buy a Fujifilm Finepix V10

I spoke to someone when I was looking at cameras, and I was told that it should work if the computer wasn't more than 5 years old. I'm not sure how old this one is (It was bought used/refurbished), and it'd be nice to know. Any help with this would be nice.. From what I know, all that needs to be connected is a USB cord? If it will work on my computer, let me know.

Thanks guys,
Andrew

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i just read the manual for the camera (nice cam by the way..it's even got games on it)....and it says that 98 (both SE and not) is compatible with the camera software/drivers, your proc and ram are far above the minumum requirements...and you've got enough space on the HD for the software....so you whould be fine....my suggestion (as always with digital cameras) is to try plugging the camera into the machine via usb (have the camera off when plugging the usb cable in...THEN turn the camera on...windows should detect the new hardware and try to install...it may ask you for a cd..if it does...put the cd in and let it install the drivers but NOT the fuji picture software..as i find most of those software packages suck)...and see if it will show up as a storage device on the computer...if it does..you're in business and you can just drag your photos off the camera as if it were a hard drive..

AndrewNeedsHelp

AndrewNeedsHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Heh, thank you. I just wanted to be sure that the cord (Or whatever it is) can connect to this computer. I'm not exactly sure where the USB connection is on here. Are you able to describe the symbol or what color that plug in is? It'll probably help when I get the camera tomorrow, anyways.

Cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ahem.... :whistling:

System requirements for the camera says it wants 256MB of RAM minimum. You have 128MB. You'll have to add at least another 128MB of RAM. Everything else meets or exceeds the requirements.

The USB ports are small rectangular ports...probably located on the back of your machine.

Camera system requirements.

wannabe1

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Apologies for butting in, but just wanted to mention, if the camera software is`nt particularly needed [ I did load it for mine but there was nothing I needed from it really as I have other picture viewing software and arty programs anyway ], so what I found easiest was a Flashcard Reader [ also a USB connection usually ].

With that, I just take the card from the camera and put it in the reader, and I can transfer pics as a single file
[ straight to My Documents ] far quicker than transfering from camera, which saves on camera batteries for a start, and can then view and save to whichever picture file is relevent later.

The Flashcard Reader for my own camera was only a tenner, and most are similar range - might be cheaper and easier than having to up the RAM just to be able to view pics, [ of which there are usually many when a camera is a new toy :blink: ]

[ The cards are available from most large PC shops s well as online, just make sure of noting the card type or take it to the shop to match up to thhe right Reader ].

I`ll shut up now :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

System requirements for the camera says it wants 256MB of RAM minimum. You have 128MB. You'll have to add at least another 128MB of RAM. Everything else meets or exceeds the requirements.

that's the suggested ram..the minimum is 64...and those requirements are for the software..not the camera or seeing the pictures....i think as long as you actually have usb ports and don't install their softwre you should be fine....

the suggested idea of the card reader would work as well..my only problem with those is that...the last long trip i took my digital camera on...i got to the place we where going (VERY remote woodsy type place)...and realized that the flash card was still in the card reader at the house...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I stand corrected...now where's that smiley showing an old guy cleaning his glasses???? :whistling:

wannabe1

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I stand corrected...

at your age....count yourself lucky to still be able to stand...corrected or not..hehehehe...j/k

blubear2

blubear2

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Try hooking up the camera first as mentioned above - if nothing happens go right click on the "MY Computer" icon and choose "Properties". At the bottom of the list you should see "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" if it's not there you will need to go into the BIOS and turn on the USB function.