Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Video Editing System or Media Desktop

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I am intersted in buying a new computer system. I will be using it for Video editing and needs to have a good graphic support. I don't[u] want a gaming computer ! It will be used for work and cannot be to slow.

From my understanding Intel makes great chips for what i want out of my computer. I want a good efficeinte computer for the job.

My budget is $1,500. That is for the computer components and the case. Nothing else outside of it.

Any Tips i would love! I have built gaming computers before but nothing like Video editing before.

Edited by Mr.Chow, 13 April 2006 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
You would probs need to buy a CAD card then. ATi offer a great 1GB CAD card for non-gamers. Price im not so sure of though. This is what you would need id the PC is for work and editing things, media etc.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well youre allright then gaming computers arent to specific they are just powerful computers the only big difference between a vid editing system and a gaming system is you sometimes use a 2d gfx card instead but even thats not set the 3d ones do well.

You add in a TV tuner card and a good sound card but thats it you can build them the same, youll want dual core and there the intel/amd divide for editing is less prominnent due to the intels higher price you can get a faster AMD which balances out the lower performance.

If you dont need any monitors then thats plenty budget, one of the main things youll need is a good TV card to get your video in and out and help take encoding strain off the CPU, and plenty of memory and hard drive space, you want anywhere from 500Gb to a terabyte of HDD because video s take up alot of space during encoding and after. Memory 2-4Gb and youll want it to be fast.

Basically just as fast a system as you can build, there isnt really anything specific to video pcs than anyother you just want it to be fast with a good but of file storage.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
mm ... Would you guys recomend a certain video card ? I worry about acessories latter. First i look at prices for RAM, Motherboard, Grpahics Card, and CPU. Rest is easy and basic.

I really haven't thought about building a system like this before so any tips are greatly apprecaited !

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
New FireGL™ V7350 or FireGL™ V7300 Professional 3D Accelerators

Ultra-High End Graphics Options Recognized by HP Tested and Certified Program

Go to this address to read more about the card:

http://ir.ati.com/ph...0090&highlight=

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
still i think that intels are better preforming when it comes to pure dvd editing because of their pure clock speeds thats what i built my system for. but im not fully into it just medium to high end editing usually DVD editing. but thats my two cents,
troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It depends on your system and how much you can afford, The processors you can get for AMD are cheaper so you can get faster than the equivalent intel when you compare equivalents intels are faster but you can rarely afford the equivalent intel so its something worth considering. Vid card you dont need a really powerful card for it really its CPU dependant, a TV card would be more important the higher end ones actually encode video as well so take the bias from the CPU.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey scott, that avast program is great. Thanks for the link.

Edited by Casheti, 15 April 2006 - 03:39 AM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Well i have ben pricing things up and Hopefully it will look somthing like this ....

Intel Dual Core
ASUS P5WD2-E Premium
2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Crucial
Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD

Since my budget is $1,500 I'm very edgy about the dual core. It is very expensive but in the end i think it is very well worth it. I'm trying to build my budget around the dual core. Just seems nearly impossiable though.

I am most certainly going for a Intel Processor because that is what Intel is good for in my opinion. The way they build the chips i think that Intel is most certainly the best in this department.

For graphics i was thinking either of the:

GeForce 6800 Ultra
or
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900

I really cannot afford the FireGL ... It is a great card ! But that doesn't fit the budget of building the whole system.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would probably get an ATI card for a vid editing PC, although unless you intened to play games then you dont need an x1900. But an x1000 would be best.

Like i said intel dont do anything to the chips to make them better at vid editing, and contrary to popular belief fairy dust makes up no part of intel CPUs, the was they use hyperthreading though suits the vid edting apps that are designed to use it, they do the same job they are just capable of doing it faster but that depends on how much you can get, you can sometimes get a better performing x2 for the money not because you should because AMD is better its because its faster because they are cheaper, look and you shall find is the thing for CPUs, set your budget not the chip and then get the fastest you can get for the money whatever it is, when you find the fastest handful of chips in the range look on the review sites to narrow down the fastest for what you are going to do with it.

For your memory i would get DDR2 800 you should get the best memory you can lay your hands on.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
WOO DDR2 633

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Spam much?

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
No how bout u?

SLI eh? Not supported by many games. Crossfire RULES!!!

Edited by Casheti, 14 April 2006 - 04:46 PM.