Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired connection with broadband

• Please log in to reply

ROO123

ROO123

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi, i want to creat a home network (Wired) ive got the crossover cable to connect the two computer but what else do i need. both computers have one nice installed and i also what to share broadband between the two computers. do i need to in stall two NICs in the computer that currentl has broadband connected? if so how do i configure the two nic to provide internet access to both computers?

for you for your help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your best bet would be to buy a cheap switch or hub

then your connection would be
from the wall to the cable modem...modem to the switch/hub...hub to both pc's NIC cards....then make sure that your modem is set to supply ip addresses via DHCP (which it should be) and you're good to go (should be)

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks for the quick reply, will that allow me to enable file and printer sharing though?

Blaine

Blaine

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes having a switch or a hub will allow u to share printers and files on each pc......

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
So does a crossover cable.

If you follow the wizard in Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard it will ask you questions about your network and just answer it from the computers point of view (do this after connecting both computers via cross over cable.

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
super sam if i use a crossover cable wont i need 2 network cards in one computer so that i can also connect to the internet through one broadband connection

Blaine

Blaine

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Roo123 no most hubs or switch's have a internet port in them so u can plug into the hub or switch from modem just look when u go to buy one or go to bestbuys website and read up on some

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

super sam if i use a crossover cable wont i need 2 network cards in one computer so that i can also connect to the internet through one broadband connection

this is why direct connect setups are a pain in the butt...it's not worth the trouble when you can get a hub or a switch for 25 bucks....

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks for all your help, ive just got one more question before i set up the network, if i use an ethernet switch (from netgear) will i need to make a crossover cable or not?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope...no need for a crossover with a switch or hub

ROO123

ROO123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts