Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Bleeps and nothing

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok started my computer up this afternoon and when it started it got to the logon screen adn loaded up and i walked away to do something else, I heard the logon noise and then just expected it to load up like normal but when i got back the screen was completely black so i moved the mouse, pressed some keys on the keyboard but nothing would work so i tried pressing the NumLock key and the light wouldn't go off. So I hit the reset button and then waited and when it loaded up it didn't show anything but bleeped three times and then absolutely nothing, not even an attempt to load the PC. I restarted again and the same happened, so i looked in the back of my PC and blew some of the dust away (left here for a while and not normally dusted, hard to get to) but anyway did a little dusting and waited about five minutes and then started it up and it worked fine, but for a while now my computer has just been randomly going black and not coming back on. I have already posted about the black screens before but got no help. I would really like some help becuase I don't want to hurt my system. I am using the computer now.

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
What type of computer is it? The beep codes tell you what the BIOS found an error in, but we'll need to know the mobo type.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for AMI Bios

2. Short Beeps Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

3 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok I think it is AMI so i will be sure to do that, but why does it do this some times and not others and why has it worked for years without being touched and now this.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could be a slow burn on the ram or the vid card...

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well my video seems to be working fine so it's probably the Memory. I have just downloaded speedfan 4.28 and was wondering if you could explain that to me. Also I have FreeRam XP Pro and was wondering if using memory optimizers could affect anything.

Posted Image

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..temp 2 is a little warm...but...there's no assurance of which temp that is...it could be a proc it could be the vid card or an ambient temp...speed fan doesnt' really (it can't) tell you what temp is what....hmm

try going to www.memtest.org and creating a ram diagnostic disk and run that for a t least 2 hours...

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
ok thanks. Do memory optimizers affect or damage anything becuase i only have one stick of RAM and just want to be certain becuase I really dont have the money yet to be buying any new RAM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't use the things so i can't say for sure...alot of times ( i think) ram optomizers generally do their task programatically to make the ram run more efficiently..i don't thnk they effectively overclock the ram (which can cause damage if done improperly)

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok thankyou