Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply

howarddan

howarddan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
i ran Sypbot and AdAware on my kid's PC, which runs XP Home. now when I try to reboot, I get this error message: reg file failure - reg cant load the hive (file).systemroot/system32/config/software - it is corrupt, absent or not writable. this is on a blue screen. then it does a physical file dump. I cant even reinstall XP because I cant get past this screen.

Advertisements

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Have you tried to open the disc tray before you get to this screen? Reboot with the reinstall disc in the tray and see if that helps.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF you can boot to the xp cd try going to the recovery console (by choosing the R option during setup) then type chkdsk /r and let that run till it's done without interupting it and see if that helps anything

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks. somehow just putting the XP disk in the tray caused it to boot up to the Welcome screen. Great! but now I still have the original problem that led me to run Spybot and AdAware--it runs unbelivably slowly. If I click on an icon like Word Perfect it takes several minutes to load; same with everything else. Also the bottom half on the screen is black. although you can see the icons, the wallpaper is gone. she only hsa 256 RAM; maybe she just needs more for XP?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
more ram and a visit to the malware removal department down the hall and to the left....

(win xp will run on 256, but not well--you will see a significant improvement at 384mb and its real functional limit is 512mb)

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK, I added more RAM so it now has 512. I ran Microsoft Defender, AdAware and Spybot again. I did disk cleanup. It doesnt need to be defragged. But it still runs extremely slowly and the bottom half of the screen is still black. Now what!!

howarddan

howarddan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I forgot one thing: when I look at what processes are running, the big ones are Iexplore, which shows up 3 times, at 11K, 23K and 28 K, and PCMserrvice.exe at 11K.