Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about networking

• Please log in to reply

Shelley430

Shelley430

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am in the process of trying to connect my daughter's laptop computer to my desktop computer (mine is the host). She has a router that she bought with the computer but never used, and I've never used one either so this is a real adventure to say the least.

I've gone through the forum and found SapceCowboy's instructions on "Wireless Home Network Setup (1 to ?? PC's)," and printed them out. I'll try this in the next couple of days as time allows, and hopefully I won't have to come in here asking for help!!

My question is: Do I need to use the router software that came with it? I have attempted to go through the steps of the software with my computer (the host) first, but it tells me it is unable to locate the router. So with SpaceCowboy's instructions do I eliminate the router software altogether, or do I use it. And if I do use it, do I do SC's instructions before or after? I'm hoping I can eliminate the software process because obviously it's just not working on my computer for some reason.

Thanks so much.
~~Shelley :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you generally actually don't need the router software..it SUPPOSEDLY makes it easier to set them up but i've never seen that to be true...as long as you get your computer connected DIRECTLY to the router and have an ip address in the same range as the router..then y ou can use your webbrowser to configure it...

Shelley430

Shelley430

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks so much. That's a huge relief. I was really hoping to not have to use the software. Wish me luck!!