Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building a new PC, need advise!

• Please log in to reply

M4d$k1llz

M4d$k1llz

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello! I am buying a new gaming PC, which is hopefully pretty cheap, and is going to be able to handle the latest games, and will hopefully play them to pretty much (not nessicarily) the highest graphics possible.

But i have a few queries,

1) Will this pc all function together, if the parts are put together correctly,

2) Will this be a good enough pc to handle, HL2, AOE III, COD II, (etc)

3) are any parts slowing down / not letting other parts run at full spec, (for example, will that processor run at 2.2ghz.. or will it be underclocked?)

and finally 4) Is this all resaonably priced, or does anyone know any particular sites selling cheaper bits?

Here is the PC ::

Hard disk - Maxtor Diamondmax 10 80GB 7200rpm SATA150 8mb Cache - OEM £28.74

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHZ S939 1024KB SAN DIEGO £125.20

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8N SLI NF4 SLI, S939, PCI-E (x16), DDR 400, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX £58.27

Graphics card - 256MB Leadtek7800GTX 1250 MHz ,450 MHz , 24 Pipes, Dual DVI-I , S-Video/TV Out , HDTV £234.87

Memory (Ram) - 2x Aries 512Mb PC3200 184pin DDR 400 DIMM Memory £39.10 (in total)

Case - Generic CX-8759 Black Knight Atx Case With 400W PSU £23.95

Monitor – A 17” Standard monitor off a friend (FREE)

Mouse – Already got a descent one.

Keyboard - Chicony EasySpace 105key Black PS/2 PC Keyboard £1.89

DVD drive - Sony Corporation DW-Q28A Dual Layer Pearl White 16X DVD +/-R/RW oem £22.70

Floppy dis c – Not Needed :blink:

Cheers :whistling:

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Motherboad doesn't look good. Try getting a DFI lanparty I think their the best ones out there. Also a bigger hard drive would help. I wouldn't worry about the outside, because its the inside that counts.

Edited by SOORENA, 13 April 2006 - 07:50 PM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I agree with SOORENA
good graphics card, improving processor would improve preformance but you should be ok
I use a diferent SATA drive for Games and Media! (80 + 200G)

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hard disk - Maxtor Diamondmax 10 80GB 7200rpm SATA150 8mb Cache - OEM £28.74
You will want more space fast, but I suppose you can grab another later

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHZ S939 1024KB SAN DIEGO £125.20
Good choice, I love mine. Will be good for at least a couple over years before you have to worry about serious overclocking.
Sarahw, you really don't know enough to be comenting on this build. That chip is top of the line for single core.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-K8N SLI NF4 SLI, S939, PCI-E (x16), DDR 400, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX £58.27
Great motherboard, will suit your needs. SOORENA, please don't give advice about things you don't know about. I would NEVER recomend a DFI to a first time build. They require a GREAT deal of knowlage to use correctly, and are useful for hardcore overclocking purposes only. The Gig will do everything the DFI will minus the extreme OC.

And before you get excited, it would cost a good bit more to get this rig extreme OC ready. Nothing to worry about, you *should* be able to pull a 250 fsb from your current setup, PSU and RAM willing. That would put you near FX57 performance, so I personally see no need to go further right now, especially on a budget.

Graphics card - 256MB Leadtek7800GTX 1250 MHz ,450 MHz , 24 Pipes, Dual DVI-I , S-Video/TV Out , HDTV £234.87
meh, go with an x1800xt. Close in price for better antiailising

Memory (Ram) - 2x Aries 512Mb PC3200 184pin DDR 400 DIMM Memory £39.10 (in total)
Never heard of them, you're on your own. Capacity is right on target though.

Case - Generic CX-8759 Black Knight Atx Case With 400W PSU £23.95
Whatever floats your boat

Monitor – A 17” Standard monitor off a friend (FREE)
Free is always good

Mouse – Already got a descent one.
w/e
Keyboard - Chicony EasySpace 105key Black PS/2 PC Keyboard £1.89
w/e
DVD drive - Sony Corporation DW-Q28A Dual Layer Pearl White 16X DVD +/-R/RW oem £22.70
NEC makes a great combo drive that burns everything but DVD-RAM. Should just be a fiver or so more. Looks good enough IMO though.

Floppy dis c – Not Needed tongue.gif
Always needed for self build. Trust me and spend the $8 now, at some point in time you will thank God on you knees you got one. Just trust my 12 years of experiance here.

Edited by JourneyMan, 13 April 2006 - 10:13 PM.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
what about AMD 939 4000 that I found for $450 Australian. that would be fine wouldn't it?

M4d$k1llz

M4d$k1llz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hmmmm, ok, so possibly get in a floppy,

i think i am going to need a better PSU on the case though, possibly buying a Case and a separate 500w+ PSU.

Argh, i've heard sooo many things on the motherboard.. some say it will slow the whole thing down, others say no, it is very good... :s

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

..... I would NEVER recomend a DFI to a first time build. They require a GREAT deal of knowlage to use correctly, and are useful for hardcore overclocking purposes only. The Gig will do everything the DFI will minus the extreme OC.

I was just pointing out that its a great motherboard nothing else.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No i would reccomend a DFI as well if you want one, they require knowledge to use TO THEIR FULL POTNETIAL, they do not require more knowledge than any other kind of board to use normally you wont get the advantage of having one over other boards but you could still quite easily use and set a DFI board uo even a first timer. In fact they are a good choice for any due to there very high reliablilty.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Dfi motherboards are great and yes they are really reliable. A first timer can set it up as a friend of mine did. I only had to help him on the boot up of the harddisks because he has like 4 harddrives.

When you get into the overclocking features you need alittle knowledge thats it..

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
How come you made me get a Abit instead of a DFI then jrm20 =)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The abit is just as good as the DFI board.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Just wondering... where did you find that 80GB S-ATA for £30? I might buy two for a small raid..

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Ok scot just making sure btw why is the razer copperhead so much better than the logitech g5. And please tell us where you got those hardrives i got a friend that might buy a few.

M4d$k1llz

M4d$k1llz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
i do believe the hard drives above are from www.savastore.co.uk

Yes, i did, that £28.74 is without VAT though :/.

Hard disks

ps, i have ordered my pc, but that wasn't the spec of it.

M4d$k1llz

M4d$k1llz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Same CPU, better motherboard, slightly downgraded graphics card (512mb Leadtek 6800GS), same RAM, Better case (450W -> aluminium), and a Dvd / CD:RW. (no DVD RW)