Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD drive will not read or write to blank discs

• Please log in to reply

RyfAdminGeek

RyfAdminGeek

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Good day!

I just got done posting in the malware section to clean out some viruses that our business computer had. Daemon was wonderful and got almost all the problems we were having solved. The one thing that originally started all of this was the fact that we could not get our CD drive to recognize a blank disc. After all the cleaning we are still having the problem. Without thisI cannot back up the comapny donor database and it hasn't been done in a long time.

Please let me know what exact info you need to help me with this.

I have already tried to shut down and reboot and reinstall the driver. I 've run the trouble shooter without getting any better suggestions and I've updated all the windows updates, AV dat files and made sure the computer was virus free.

Help....please.... must copy files.....

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Glad you got your malware problem fixed. He do have a wonderful staff of experts over in the Malware forum! Does your CD drive show up in windows explorer? Does the cd drive read disks, but will not record?
Here is a possible fix for "drive not recordable"
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q316529 drive not recordable

RyfAdminGeek

RyfAdminGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello!

The CD drive shows in Windows explorer. It will read disks that already have something on them BUT it will not allow me to add or delete from those disks. It tells me everything is Read only on a rewritable disk. It will not read any blank disks. I have another computer with the Xp operating system and a different brand of CD drive that is doing the same thing so I wondered if one of the viruses we had at one time may have corrupted something at some point. Any ideas?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Try the drive not recordable registry fix from M$ on this computer and see where it takes you. Be sure to follow the precautions detailed by M$ when messing with the registry.

RyfAdminGeek

RyfAdminGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, this could be a problem....
I printed off the solution that you suggested and opened the registry editor and tried to naviaget to the key listed:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\cd burning\drives

I could get all the way to explorer - but there was nothing that said "cd burning" - now what do I do?

RyfAdminGeek

RyfAdminGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ah!!! I see the problem: THe computer I need to have fixed is running on Windows 2000 ( the other computer has XP) Do you have a micrsoft fix for this version?

RyfAdminGeek

RyfAdminGeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The XP fix worked on the other computer so now I just need to find where to fix it for Windows 2000. :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I went to M$ support, then windows 2000 and searched for "CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device" and found http://support.micro...ode=r&cus=False
Take a look at these. There may be others, depending on how you phrase the search parameters.