Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

demonic spirits invade

• Please log in to reply

hippiemind

hippiemind

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Have no idea what is going on.....From clicking on desktop icon for your site to this point took 25 minutes. Have gone through your remove adware and puter seems clean.........BUT....it is still extremely slow. I just tried uninstalling and item through the control panel .......it does not work. I might have uninstalled Microsoft uninstall 3.

Where should we start exploring.....I'll supply the holy water.

Thanks for anything you can get done.....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hippiemind...

A little sluggish you say... :whistling:

Download WinAudit, run it on the machine, save a report as either a HTML or Excel file, and e-mail it to me. (I'll PM you with the addy). If you save the report in HTML, you need only sent the file named "rightframe.html". The files may need to be zipped to send them.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 April 2006 - 05:14 PM.

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
howdy.....I am cyber illiterate.....don't understand...(pm you the addy) also don't know how to (zip files).

went to win audit and ran it, but seems way too much to post here.

What do I do now?????

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I found your email and sent you the entire report......

What now?????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Give me a bit to look it over to see if I can spot any obvious conflicts in the machine... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy hippiemind...

I found a few problems on the machine...the first being that you don't have enough RAM to properly run XP. I know that Microsoft says you can run WinXP with 128MB of RAM, but all that will allow you to do is start the machine. 256MB will get you a little better performance, but if you want to run good, you'll need at least 384MB . 512MB is what I usually recommend. You have 156MB :blink:

The second is that this is an upgrade from Win98 and the machine is still loaded down with all kinds of old Win98 patches and updates. Many of these are no longer needed and are just clogging the arteries, so to speak.

Third, the only Anti-Virus I see on the machine is Panda Active Scan. This is a good scanner, but is not protecting your machine. Panda scan is like rolling up the car window...right after it rains. It's good to do, but it's a bit too late... :whistling:

Which leads me to No. four...I'd be willing to bet your machine really IS possessed by demons...of the malware variety. Viri and spyware are notorious for causing poor performance and, if left unchecked, can eventually lead to unrecoverable failure.

Game Plan:

Up the RAM. Another 256MB would work wonders on this machine...512MB would really do the trick. You have a couple of available slots.

Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools (Click Start, point to All Programs, then to Accessories, then to System Tools, select the tool) Start with Cleanup...then run Defragmenter.

Get some real Anti-Malware protection going. Avast! is good and is free...so is AVG. Also get an Anti-Spyware application AdAware is a good one...so is Windows Defender. Both are freebies. Run one Anti-Virus program and one Anti-Spyware program at all times!

Which brings us again to No. four...Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here...then post a HiJackThis log in THAT Forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I did a search for 512mb ram and found dozens of types and prices......Which type do I need for my system? Thanks again.....Paul

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The RAM slots on your machine will only support 256MB per slot, so you'll be looking for a pair of 256MB sticks to get 512MB. The WinAudit failed to pick up the actual type of stick in your machine (it got about everything else, though :whistling: ). Let's try an Everest Report. Again, in HTML format (default in Everest) and by e-mail.

I'll see if that gives me a little clearer picture of the Motherboard and RAM.

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Sent the Everest report several times as Gmail was experiencing "technical difficulties"

Hope you got it.....thanks again......Hippiemind

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hippiemind...

Yes, I received the report.

Your machine uses PC133 SDRAM. The ports will only supprt 256MB per slot. You might think about a pair of 256MB sticks and put them in the slots now occupied, then put the sticks now in the machine in the remaining slots. That should up your performance considerably! :whistling:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 April 2006 - 09:31 AM.

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Wannabe is a lousy name for you, for the help you have given me......Thanks much appreciated

Hey....I accidently found a site that scans your system and then tells you what its max memory is, and the products that are recommended and compatible. Check it out at..... Crucial.com

If someone has this question for you in the future, this will make life easier on ya.

Thanks again......

Edited by hippiemind, 17 April 2006 - 01:32 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hippiemind...

I like (and use) crucial.com, but sometimes I like to know the current configuration in the machine as I might recommend a slight change...as in your case. Shifting all ram over a bit so the new, larger sticks are loaded first...instead of the smaller ones you have now. Better performance that way... :blink:

Glad to help! :whistling:

wannabe1