Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access Network Computers

• Please log in to reply

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been trying to get my notebook to connect to my desktop wirelessly to share files and printers but I have been unsuccessful in doing so. I followed the tutorial on this website to to the tee and still no success.

My desktop is connected via hardwire through a cable modem and I have a Linksys Wireless G roouter wired inline. Both My notebook and my desktop are connected to the internet without a problem but I cannot access my desktops files. My desktop is running XP Pro whil my notebook is running XP Media Center.

Can anyone help me out with this??

Advertisements

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup (system > computer name) and the folder which you are sharing is being shared (right click folder > sharing > check mark "share this folder on network") Also, check the ip address of the computers and make sure they on the same network (e.g. 192.168.1.XXX)

I just did this om my computer and files are copying as I type.

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have check through these settings and everything is set up properly. Thank you for the thought though. At this point I am drawing blanks.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
which guide...there are a couple floating around...

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is the one that I ran through.

networking print and file sharing

I had already set things up before I went through this tutorial but I decided to start over and run through every step that was posted on the link above.

I started with posting #3.

Edited by coffeecrazed, 13 April 2006 - 09:35 PM.

Possible

Possible

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Are you able to ping each computer?
Using the command prompt, type ping and the ip address of the other computer (e.g. 192.168.1.100). Do you get replies

Check for firewalls?

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

I have been trying to get my notebook to connect to my desktop wirelessly to share files and printers but I have been unsuccessful in doing so. I followed the tutorial on this website to to the tee and still no success.

My desktop is connected via hardwire through a cable modem and I have a Linksys Wireless G roouter wired inline. Both My notebook and my desktop are connected to the internet without a problem but I cannot access my desktops files. My desktop is running XP Pro whil my notebook is running XP Media Center.

Can anyone help me out with this??

ive had the same problem before. if your using MS Xp than turn off the windows firewall. it worked for me :whistling:

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried pinging from the notebook (192.168.1.101) to the desk top (192.168.1.100) and it timed out each time.

I have a McAfee firewall and a windows firewall. Should I disable both?

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am now able to ping my notebook from my desktop but I cannot ping my desktop from my notebook. Does this point out that the problem lies with my notebook?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yep

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was actually yepping your previous question, not the last one

OK, so, you can your notebook, but not your desktop...can your notebook ping itself? (ping 127.0.0.1), can it ping the router?

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I disabled both firewalls and I am still unable to ping my desktop from the wireless notebook, any ideas on waht I should do next?

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the notebook can ping itself and it can ping the router but it just cannot ping the desktop pc.

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
also disable the other computers firewall

coffeecrazed

coffeecrazed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was able to map a network drive on my desktop from my notebook. I still cannot map a network drive or ping my desktop from my notebook. Any ideas on this anyone?