Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wont boot to window

• Please log in to reply

winterfire

winterfire

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was playing Half life 2 and my computer frost and so i restart the computer by holding the power button for 10 sec but when it boot up the screen boot up to where it say safe mode or start nomal. Fist i picked nomal and it was in middle of loading window but a screen pop up and say power saving shuting down moniter and it reboot agin and the same screen po up and this time i pick safe mode but the same thing happen again. I try to press f8 and try to restore the computer but it wont work either. :whistling:

Processor AMD Athlon™ XP/MP/4 1750MHz
Display Card VIA/S3G KM400
Memory 256MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Free Disk Space 44.84GB
Display Card Memory 32MB
Display Driver Version 6.14.10.113
DirectX Version 9.0c
Optical Drive N/A
Sound Card C-Media Wave Device

Edited by winterfire, 15 April 2006 - 09:43 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi winterfire...

What kind of machine do you have? Is it an OEM like Dell or HP or a custom build? Do you have the installation cd for your operating system?

wannabe1

winterfire

winterfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got a compaq when i bought the computer but got broken so we took it to a computer repair shop and they put a new mobo and other stuff in.

Edited by winterfire, 14 April 2006 - 01:55 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Whats happens when you start the machine with the installation cd in the cd-rom drive?

winterfire

winterfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When i restart my computer with the restore cd it said wrong cd please insert correct restore cd in please.
The outside of the cd said compaq restore plus dise 1,start with this cd to restore.
I got to sleep and i'll check you reply saturday.

Edited by winterfire, 14 April 2006 - 08:02 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...this is not a good sign. Do you have floppy drives on the machine you are on now AND the Compaq that's broken?

winterfire

winterfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I got an floppy drive on the broken one only the machine i am on right now dont have one. My friend dont have one either.
Is there anyway i can fix it like get a new hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think you need a new hard drive. You are stuck in what's known as a reboot loop. This usually happens when the registry becomes corrupt. The Master Boot Record seems to be doing fine...it's when it hands off to the registry that the problem shows up.

You have the incorrect cd for the machine for some reason...or at least that's the way the machine sees it. Do you have access to a regular XP cd?

winterfire

winterfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Nope
I only got one that the repair guy give us.
Well thank for your help.
If you got any more clue to fix my computer please add it.

Edited by winterfire, 15 April 2006 - 09:26 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert in non-functioning CD, set the PC to boot to the cd-rom first in the boot order section of bios (get there by pressing f1,f2, or del depending on machine while memory is counting up)

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console. You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, then typing in the administrator password, which is blank for XP Home or whatever you set when you installed your machine for XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

follow the prompts, then when it is complete, type

EXIT, to reboot

Remove CD from drive

Fix?

winterfire

winterfire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip